• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cant access files after user changed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pinkpig

Registered
Hell everyone.

I changed the name of the user for my computer (administrator account). After i changed it i can't delete things in my shared folder anymore, and sometimes i get access denied saving files etc....

did i do something to mess up the security?

i dunno what i should do, im stuck

any help or suggestions would help

Thanks
Laura

need more info. like Operating system? environment? (work/home/domain) what type of filesystem it has. What types of files you are saving to where when you get the errors. things like that. makes it difficult to fix something if we dont know what your talking about ;)

Opps sorry =)

its windows Xp pro
its a home computer so not connected to any network or domain.
Just for personal use

i cant delete anything in the shared folder (shared documents)

there's only 1 user on the machine

thanks
L

Had a feeling it was XP. Try checking the ownership and permissions of the shared folder. it may not ave taken the name change for the admin. Don't know why but its possible. If you don't have permissions to the folder, try right clicking on it and select "Take Ownership" of the folder, then try again. or if there is no option, simply in the permissions tab add your user name (what you changed the admin to) to full control over the folder and try again

Ah, I once had a problem like that before, I couldnt delete or move anything, from the shared directory, from the computer it was on haha, so i just unshared it, and reset everything to how it was before and htat worked, if you wanan share it agian just go through the routine agian :)

Back