• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anybody hear about the new gaming P4?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nahmus

this is a clip from an article that I got in my e-mail. It does not go into details. Anybody have any?

On Tuesday, Intel announced it's developing a Pentium 4 chip specifically for gamers and PC enthusiasts. The Pentium 4 Extreme Edition, which will run at 3.2 gigahertz, is expected to be available in one to two months.

well I know there there will be a difference, there also marketing their "paladium" type security chip as well as a home entertainment chip that will have built in digital rights management. I would expect that you will start seeing set-top boxes and X-boxes replacing cable boxes in the near future.

how big the difference, if any remains to be seen. They better get their cooling under control first :)

Deathknight said:
Heh sounds like a marketing ploy to me

I have said this in both of the Penitum 4 XE threads. I totally agree about this Intel crap being a marketing ploy.

Much like when Windows ME was released as the future of all Windows operating systems (oooh system restore). It was all a way for Micro$oft to rake in cash to market its better operating system, Windows XP. By that time, all the ME owners knew they were played with its built in system crashes and new added features of driver corruptions. WOW, even better than system restore. Then people were played again with the marketing ploy, what you mean the retail version of XP costs how much??

Probably rushed it out when they realised the problems they were having with their new blast furnace prescott and how well the A64's are performing in gaming in previews - not unsurprising really as they need to keep pace with AMD's upcoming launch

Past 512 you see sharply diminishing returns in most uses. And going from 256 to 512 didnt really do all that much for amd to begin with.

<sarcasm>
Boy I don't know guys, I've seen some Intel fansites that have extrapolated from Xeon data to show that this new Xtreme Edition is going to have the highest Spec scores of any chip by far. It of course is also going to be cheap and obliterate Hammer chips all the way up to 3.0Ghz
</sarcasm>
Intel just seems to be screwing up left and right lately. Of course, the major tech sites are going to applaud this chip despite the fact that it's a kludge of a kludge :)

P.S. Just to be sure no one misunderstands me. I DO agree that the extra cache is going to help performance. I DON'T think it's going to be a great amount and I DON'T think it's worth the HUGE real estate on the chip nor the cost. I truly believe this is a marketing ploy to lessen the degree of arse kicking they are going to get in about a week.
Also, don't cite the "Well when the cache was doubled from Willie to Northwood, look how much better the chip got!" The willie was crippled by many other things that were remedied in the Northwood core. northwood isn't simply a willie with double the cache. You can't take a POS chip, slap on some cache (and a few ten million extra transistors) and call it a success.

Last edited:
It looks like there just rebranding xeon chips and pumping them up since its not in a server enviroment and can have the specs a little looser.

The extra cache should help games and such programs. I think they need more time to get the heat issue under control.

mtnbikerjerry said:

I have said this in both of the Penitum 4 XE threads. I totally agree about this Intel crap being a marketing ploy.

Much like when Windows ME was released as the future of all Windows operating systems (oooh system restore). It was all a way for Micro$oft to rake in cash to market its better operating system, Windows XP. By that time, all the ME owners knew they were played with its built in system crashes and new added features of driver corruptions. WOW, even better than system restore. Then people were played again with the marketing ploy, what you mean the retail version of XP costs how much??

LOL, someone must be sick of his windows ME system...

how bout we stay on track here.

Lord_MiL said:
Intel just seems to be screwing up left and right lately.

How so? I mean aside from Prescotts using a bit more power than was originally expected, how has one of the few large tech companies that's turning a profit been "screwing up" lately?

There not totally screwing up but with the heat problem (prescots if i remember correctly) as it stands they cannot install them into blade servers and multiple CPU configurations reliably. This is one ofthe main markets for intel and if the AMD opteron performs as expected (or even marginly well) they could make inroads into datacenters that a few years ago would never even consider another CPU other then intel. They have had a long time to work on the heat problem and still have not resolved it (from the latest things I have read.) A cpu running hot in your home PC is one thing, when you have a whole computer room that is overheating and you really have to pump up the AC, thats alot of money to a company.

The L3 cache is supposed to make up for latency issues that occur when the CPU accesses the memory bus. This is supposed to act as somewhat of a psuedo-HyperTransport system, :)

I imagine this is somewhat Apple-esque, in that Apple doubled the L3 cache of the G4 a few years back, from 1MB to 2MB. It didn't really "do" that much, but it did help, but (again), only in the areas where the L3 cache helped in the first place. You can't really put a lot of info in that small of a space, so when playing games and such, while it'll help, it's not going to be a miracle worker. It'll be interesting to see the performance gains, especially compared to Apple, who's doing the reverse (removing L3 cache [I think . . .] and adding L2 cache [for a total of 512K, just like Barton and Northwood]).

Z

Lord_MiL said:
You can't take a POS chip, slap on some cache (and a few ten million extra transistors) and call it a success.

You must be picking a fight? POS chip? Some one ought to slap you silly.

Back