• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair XMS3200 or Buffalo PC3700?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kmzody

I am new to the world of OC and was planning to put together a "stable" P4 2.4C system moderately overclocked to 3 - 3.2G. I will be using the Asus P4P800 mobo and now am trying to decide the right 1GB of memory for the system.

OC'ing the 2.4C to 3.2G with a 3:2 memory ratio, I only need a good PC3200. The Corsair XMS3200 comes highly recomended with a CAS of 2 (about $250.)

OC'ing the 2.4C to 3.2G with a 5:4 memory ratio, I need a PC3700. Buffalo PC3700 with winbond is a good candidate with a CAS of 3 (about $200.)

My questions is which is the right way to go to get the maximum overall performance. If there is any setup other than the above two I should also consider, please do tell me. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Hi, I'm am currently comptemplating the very same system and have the same question about ram. $200 for 1gb of ram seems very intruiging. New egg recently took off two models it had for the buffalo pc3700 and now only has one that is labeled:
Buffalo Technology 512MB 6 Layer PC3700 DDR Memory Module 32X8 (Winbond Module), DD466-512 - OEM
As stated above would this be good ram to reach the 3.2ghz mark with decent timmings?
There are also a multitude of 512mb offerings from Geil. It is a little confusing to pick out memory these days.
I thought most ram was to the point of pc3200 with fast timmings and that anything faster was the same pc3200 overclocked to run faster with slower timmings. Any input would be helpful since its tough to decide between ram sticks now :)

Back