• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Easy Water Block Design

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

amok time

I made a WB design in paint, still playing around, please let me know what you think.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/355478/wb3.jpg

It's a copper base plate w/ a copper pipe welded on to it.
The red rods are 10g copper wires.
I might get frogy and put a silver coin mod over the die
(not a mod, it's not even built yet.)

The thing on the side is a stem that would extend the water intake right over top of the core.

I keep painting dif blocks, I got the bug to built some thing and soon.

Let me know what you think.

Thanx

a couple of things. One what are the blue circle things? Two why use copper wire and how are you planning on attaching them to the rest on the water block. I might work better to buy a pin fin air cooling heatsink and start you creation from there.

A few questions for you to think about.

How is it going to mount?

How much is it going to weigh with all of that sticking off the the MB 4 holes or ZIF socket? :eek:

Are the 4 blue dots holes around the outside for the water to exit and if so, have you thought about how you are going to fit all of the mess of tubing and T's you would need inside a case?

Keep thinking of ideas, just trying to help. Nice MSPaint Skills BTW. :D

Raider84 said:
a couple of things. One what are the blue circle things? Two why use copper wire and how are you planning on attaching them to the rest on the water block. I might work better to buy a pin fin air cooling heatsink and start you creation from there.

Blue things are outlets, I was thinking of attaching the wire via holes drilled in to the base; maybe use some ASEpox or soldering. The pin HS Mod is a great idea, but my computer budget is tight, I would rather spend my money on fans and pumps:)

Fast420A said:

How much is it going to weigh with all of that sticking off the MB 4 holes or ZIF socket? :eek:

Are the 4 blue dots holes around the outside for the water to exit and if so, have you thought about how you are going to fit all of the mess of tubing and T's you would need inside a case?

Yes it would be mounted via MB holes, But I was thinking about drilling holes be hide the MB in the Case MB Tray to help with the weight, I hope not sure on that one. :D I do understand that the tubes will be a problem I have a small case to boot; I was thinking I could put 90. On them and plug up two until I get a larger case, but I will more then likely T and deal with the mess, until I can afford a larger case.

Let me give some more equations to think about, I will be using a 24" rad, and maybe a 3/4 hp pool pump. The pool pump is free so I might break the sys in with it.

Got some questions about my design maybe you can help me with.
1. Do you think it will have a high flow rate?
2. Is their a better way to work the discharge lines?
3. Do you think it will work, and can I make it easer in anyway?

Fast420A said:

How much is it going to weigh with all of that sticking off the the MB 4 holes or ZIF socket? :eek:

Soldered on wires would be less efficient than dimpled holes in a thin flat base, which is also easy to do.

Nothing wrong with multiple exit tubes, look at my block in the avatar. They can be used to run off to other blocks in the system. Also you can step down a diameter size for easier to handle tubing with four exits. Just don't like the tubing mess argument, look at the fine work Bladerunner has done, he's not conservative with the tubing if ya know what I mean.

I would consider putting a nozzle on the end of the stem to make the water spray with more force/velocity. The ones I've seen don't seem real hard to make, and they can be made to be removeable so you can test with, without, and different nozzle styles to see what works best. Some people have found that they can improve the performance of a block pretty well. Just an idea'r for you. :)

Welcome to the forums.

fishin I love you block. If I could make one like that I would, I think I have a .jpg saved of a design that I based on that style of block.

IMOG I was thinking about trying to make a cascade on the end of the stem just capping it and drilling holes into it. I'm not sure if it would help this block, But if anybody has any cheap ideas that I can trun this into a Cascade, please post. I might try it.

Thanks keep them comming

IMOG said:
If this block (http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/355478/wb2.jpg) would theoretically be mounted on the standard four mounting holes using the drill placements shown in the pic, I don't know how it would ever fit around the socket. :eh?: l337 paint skillz though.

I know I cut the pic out and placed it on a old AMD board. I wish I could mach a block like this but it's not going to happen. I can dream

Anybody work with Autocad? I would love to see any designs in drw format.

Ok I have read other forms that talk about silver quality.
I have found on E-bay .999 silver dollars, Is this a good # to have I know they posted 97% pure silver, just got confusted with the .999 number. If some one can clear this up for me that would be great.

U don't need 100% pure silver if U want to make silver block.
Difference in thermal conductivity will be minimal - unnoticable.

Go with the top one it looks best. You don't have to drill all 4 holes to start with you can drill them later.
a 3/4hp punp is aufall big you may have to spilt the exit line from the pump and gring it back to RES if you do this put a flow valve on it

I got a 2 stage rad I will be using so I might end up looping into one of the stages.

This might be dumb question venom but were do I find silver that is in rod form cheap?

I dunno :)
U'd need to ask some ppl, look in net, probably fot materials for jewelers.

stock price was about $0.60 per gram.

probably U'd need to melt it in some way

Back