• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Say No To Steam!!! :mad:

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

1-Man-Army

plz sign this petition
http://www.petitiononline.com/nosteam/petition.html
these ppl who created half life are evil i tell ya!!!
i hate steam so much. i payed for this game and this cdkey just so i can play now there taking off the won system wtf is this?
won is great u can global ban ppl, track em down to see if its the abusers etc. and i miss downloading patches then update the game and play, i hate valve they messed up every thing all i can is **** * valve. plz sign this for the sake off all the ppl who used to love how this game worked
1-Man-Army

hmmm, ill have to not sign that, only because i was able to play 1.6 for so long, for free with no problems :) well up untill now... i was on dsl when i started to play 1.6 and now im on dial up so i give up, it takes to long to download cs 1.6.

Dude, nobody ****ing cares.

Valve can do whatever they want. Its their product. You dont actually own it, they just licenced the use of it to you. Read the fine print.
Petitions mean nothing to companies, valve will just shrug this off.

17611 Total Signatures

Obviously some people care, looks like A LOT of people.

I'm not signing it simply because I haven't used steam and I think that Valve can do whatever they want with Steam and already made their decision. I don't think online petitions hold any weight at all.

half those are probably doubles or fakes and no one cares petitions hold little weight and online petitions carry about as much weight as an Belimic filled with hydrogen and then weighed with her own scale heh heh.

Its true, Just about anything online holds now sway, the petion will be shrugged off like the thousands of Email writtin in leet speak, the few people who have an intelligent complaint get lost in a sea of idiocy.

-SSXIX

people just need to stop ****in whining. every patch that has ever come out for cs has had lil noobs making petitions and flooding various forums about how they hate the patch and will never play again. yet those same people continue to play til the next patch where they start crying again. its a never ending cycle brought on by stupid kids who can't hang when things don't go the way they want them to.

there is a very simply answer to this small dilema. don't like it don't play it.

the game is like 5 years old.valve don't have to support it at all and could have taken WON down years ago but unlike other games they work to make the game better and keep it progressing throughout the years.

personally steam works fine. there is a bit of lag with the authentication system but other then that it works absolutely flawlessly on my comp.

twump said:
people just need to stop ****in whining. every patch that has ever come out for cs has had lil noobs making petitions and flooding various forums about how they hate the patch and will never play again. yet those same people continue to play til the next patch where they start crying again. its a never ending cycle brought on by stupid kids who can't hang when things don't go the way they want them to.

there is a very simply answer to this small dilema. don't like it don't play it.

the game is like 5 years old.valve don't have to support it at all and could have taken WON down years ago but unlike other games they work to make the game better and keep it progressing throughout the years.
owned79.jpg

twump said:

personally steam works fine. there is a bit of lag with the authentication system but other then that it works absolutely flawlessly on my comp.

Can this be a Sticky?

twump said:

Can I have your manbaby (not gay)?

1) Online petitions don't work
2) Online petitions don't work
3) Don't like it? Don't play it.

So it doesn't matter that valve is leaving all the dialup users in the cold by requiring a connection just to play singleplayer? I think thats ludacris. I won't be buying the game until they remove that requirement because I am on dialup. And here is another way that I look at it, The gaming industry is trying to control the gamers. Instead it should be the other way around.

Just my .02

they will add a offline feature once the dust settles. but right now that is correct.

they are going to fix that in upcoming patch, a lot of people have raised their voice agains that (offline gaming requires authentication) including me. Also what would you expect from a distributing system which is marked as "broadband" only

Also why is it broadband only? what about 56k people?

Steam is Valve's new broadband platform for direct software delivery and content management.

Quoted by Official FAQ Page

fine i understand that but now how about this

Broadband Internet connection (recommended but not required)

Quoted from Get Steam NOW Page.

and now this

Windows 98, ME, 2000 or XP
500 MB HD space
256 MB RAM
1.0 Ghz processor
1GB HD space (strongly recommended)
Broadband Internet connection (128kb/s or higher strongly recommended)

It is also recommended that Steam be installed on a hard disk formatted using NTFS. Fat32 drives will work, but performance will be slower.

Quoted by Steam Official FAQ Page

Can someone please care to elaborate this? english is not my mother tongue so i might be lame in understanding this but to me both statement seem to have slightly diffeernt meaning, the first one seems to be suggesting that we need broadband connection and second one suggests that we need broadband but its not essential, which one i am supposed to believe?

So basically broadband is higly recomended blah blah blah.. what about those gamers who are "unlucky" to be on dialup ?? is this another way of showing that dialup people don't deserve to enjoy gaming while paying as much for the game as broadband users do?

litghost said:
they will add a offline feature once the dust settles. but right now that is correct.

Well, thats good if its true. But I still may have to "preview" the full version before I deem it worthy of my $50. ;)

lol i was so expecting to come back and see 1000 flames for my post. glad to see i'm not the only one irritated by the complainers.

as for the whole dialup thing. i'm not going to comment on HL 2 because it isn't out. as for multiplayer games, its like this. dialup is garbage simply garbage. it is barely enough to browse the net, let alone play games that need a constant transfer rate of over 5kbps. I personally think game makers should drop dialup users alltogether.

by using dialup and playing games then *******g all you do is hold back the industry which wether you like it or not is moving in alot higher speeds then dialup can handle. now i know not everyone can afford DSL/Cable. but come the hell on if your on dialup you shouldn't be worrying abotu online games in the first place. stick to SP games. because no matter what you think dialup simply IS NOT ENOUGH to play online games the way they are meant to be played.

in this day in age most gamers are on dsl or cable except those who live in remote locations. so to most this isn't a problem
but if you on dialup and you complain about games not being dialup freindly you really need to take a serious look at what your asking and figure it out that dialup just isn't gonna work.

as games progress you will see less and less dialupers altogether because the compression needed to transfer so much data in such a small packet just isn't around.

so its like this. if you have dialup and ***** about not being able to play games get a job and get dsl/cable etc or shut the hell up and live with the fact that you are using an outdated technology to do something its not able to do in the first place.

ok i lied one comment on HL2. have any of you dialupers seen the videos for HL2? Do you SERIOUSLY expect to be able to play online and enjoy it? with the amount of data that game will be wanting to transfer there is no way in hell a dialup computer can taransfer enough data to keep up with the server. look at the lag with broadband that BF players get because of all the crap goin on, especially in 64 player servers. to try it with dialup is like saying "yeah i am gonna go blow $50 on this sweet *** slideshow"

twump you are forgetting one key concept

We are talking about Counter Strike here which is based on Half Life now you maybe having hot shot broadband connection but let me assure you the time the game was developed broadband was not that common at all and thus based and developed with dialup users in mind, dialup users have been playing counter strike and there is no reason to deprive them of this .. keep your shinny steam to yourself and for your beloved broadband users but than atleast leave WON for dialup users why make it "compulsory" to update to steam when you know that its not for dialup users? what the hell is that?

People should never forget their roots and fear the day if you have to settle some place where broadband is not available and your only access to internet is dialup, my dear sir than i will ask you how it feels and than i will ask you how much you go around saying that "stuff".

actually baqai there is a very good chance that within the next few weeks i will be moving to a new place and not getting broadband. my answer to online games is simply, oh well it was nice while it lasted. i have played cs and a few other games on dialup and it simply is not fun when you lag on every single server. when i first started playing cs i was on dialup and hated it.

i have to quote myself here.

"dialup is BARELY enough to handle browsing the net let alone play games"

as cs has evolved it has needed to slightly raise the amount of data it transfers from client to server. the more things going on the more data it needs to transfer. the problem with this is that dialup simply can't get any faster then it already is,which wasn't really fast enough in the first place.

i agree taking down WON kinda sucks. it would be nice if they added a substitute so that you could at least do a direct connect so that if you know the IP of a 1.5 server you could enter it in and goto that server. kinda like alot of old dos and win98 and older games did. but i don't see that happening, at least i don't see valve doing it. maybe some coder will come along and create an app that can give 1.5cs a direct connect option whithout the won logon and server list.

Back