• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Disappointed with my slk-900a

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mystypiy

Okay I must say that I am pretty disappointed with my slk-900a. My temps now are higher at the same oc than before I put it on. I was using a Global WIN CAK4-88T with temps of 50-51C idle and 58C load. Now my temps are 51-52C idle and 60C load. I have tried taking it off and reapplying my as3, but I get the same results. I've tried using more paste, and less. The bottom was totally smooth too, so I didn't lap it. The fan I am using is http://svc.com/92bluredquad.html. Is it the fan or something?

Oh and as of now its only oc'ed to 2.34 to keep the temps down, 47C idle 53ishC load. 60 was just too high for me....

You really want to be using more than 50CFM on a SLK900A especially with an overclocked machine. You might also want to check if its hitting the cam box. When you push down on the heat sink do you get a drop in temps?

Hrm even with a low power fan that doesn't sound right. As sonny suggested it sounds like your HS is not making good contact.

Maybe it will help if I elaborate a little on what was already said.

Don't take the impression that it is necessary to use a more powerful fan to get good temps with the slk900a or other similar hefty copper heatsinks, because that is not true. I think what Sonny meant is that given the price tag and ability of the heatsink, to reap the full performance benefits it has to offer you need to run a fan that creates more airflow.

He also hinted at a mounting problem. The cam box is the raised portion of the ZIF (Zero Insertion Force) socket where the CPU lies, it connects to the cam (a.k.a. arm) which locks the CPU into place. Heatsink bases have a corresponding raised portion that allows clearance of the cam box so that it doesn't interfere with the mounting. If the mounting is incorrect, it is possible that the cam box is hitting the base of the heatsink and is preventing good die contact. Here is a quote from Thermalright's website:

(Note the step in the heat sink base. The step side goes over the Socket cam box. The other side goes over the lever arm.)

If the weight of the heatsink combined with an inadequate hold down is the problem, then pushing down like he suggested sometimes will show a temperature improvement because it creates better core contact. Another member of the forums just improved a bad mounting temporarily by using zip ties to improve his core contact and it improved his temps considerably.

Im having the same problem with my slk-900a. I used to have a slk-800a that i traded to a friend so i decided i needed a little more and got the slk-900a and a 119cfm 92mm tornado. I found that my temps were actually lower with the 80mm tornado and the slk-900a. But overall the slk-800a crushed the 900a in cooling.

Im running a Barton 3000+ at stock speed right now with 1.58v 2167mhz, 43C idle around 47-48C load, 32C case temp! With the stock sink, I would get 46C idle, 51.5C load. I am at military school right now, and my parents are coming down this weekend, so ill tell them to pick me up some sandpaper. Hopefully lapping it will improve the temps, otherwise im going to be very dissapointed with this 45 dollar paperweight.

Ive also tried reseating the sink 3 or 4 times and reapplying the thermal paste, not to mention rearranging my case cooling. At this point, im not sure if i should return the sink and get the 800 again.

I can't beleive what I am reading,there has to be a reason as to why this is true.
I have been running 2 of thes one on the AMD and one on the P4 and I think they are great.
My temps have never been better.
P-4 [email protected] 31c idle 42c load
[email protected] 30c Idle 35c Load
Ambient room temp 25~28C

Mystypiy - The fan your using might not even be generating 50CFM, the main reason why I pointed to that direction is that the SLK900A really likes a strong fan. One of my biggest concerns with heavy heatsinks is that the clip pressure is diminished when the board is upright, I had a bit of testing with different clip pressures on my SLK900SS & it seems to need a lot of it.

Carmine_Paterno - Remove that link in your sig, it is againts the rules.

You have to lap the heatsink. Just by smoothing out the bottom by rubbing it against the desk haha....

1.7v 2350mhz 13x180
43C idle 47C load 34C case

Okay, well after letting my rig run with the side panel off while laying on its side, the temp has gone down. Its only down about 2-3 degrees C, so do you think that there isn't enough pressure in the clips to hold it on?

Cause when I just push up on it nothing happens. Oh and I'm gonna lap my heatsink in a minute.

Okay, well now I'm thinking that it isn't a seating problem since I have put the side back on and the temps are back up to their usual 47C. If it is a seating problem its pretty small.

If you’re not getting better temps when pressing down on the HSF then you got enough pressure there. When you opened the case & noticed a temp drop you uncovered an airflow deficiency in your system. Although a gain like this is a step to cooler temps it isn’t a step forward in terms of your problem 'cause I suspect that your past HSF were in similar conditions.

What does the base look like? Are there any machining marks on there?

What kind of thermal goop are you using?....Have you tried taking the heatsink off and reinstall it. Because when I first got my new heatsink and installed it my temps sat at 56c@idle, and that was w/the 68 cfm delta fan and using AS3. I took it off and re-did the installation and everything is just peachy now.....See sig for specs-------33c@idle.

Having the side of your case on or off has nothing to do with a seating problem.

You said the heatsink looks like it is higher on one side than it is on the other?

It is possible to install the heatsink backwards. You could have been installing it backwards everytime you remounted. This would cause the heatsink to not be even on the core, or to "look higher on one side than it is on the other".

Can you please answer this for me - Is the raised portion of the cpu socket matched up with the raised portion of the heatsink base?

Here is the guide to proper installation, so you are sure this isn't your problem:

http://www.thermalright.com.tw/a_page/main_support_installation_slk700_800a_900a.htm

Last edited:
Back