• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclocking a 400mhz k6-2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
the k6-2s aren't amazing overclockers, unfortunately. get reading all the newbie articles on the main page, and read as much stuff on the forum as you can. also, have a look at the cpu database on the main page for an idea on what to expect. read you motherboard manual and look for the following options: frontside bus, cpu clock multiplier, core voltage. you'll have to change those things to overclock.

also, post your computer's details here, esp. motherboard details, or no-one can help you with anything.

good luck! here's where the learning starts! warning: if you get bitten by this bug, there's no turning back!! ;) ^_^

tried to OC a K6-2-250 (83.3x3). Got to 300 (3x100) but got a load of Windows Registry Errors and a 'ghost' partition ( I only had C: partition, windows thought I had C: and D:).

You aren't gonna get very far. Buy a Duron.

I had a k6 2 450 @ 560 5x112. This thing ran hot and loved the volts. I ran it on a Soyo 5EHM mobo. You might as well get a better hsf now and not expect anything great. Bump it up a little and let it burn in a while then try a little more. If you have the settings available try the smallest steps you can. And watch your temps. Definatly read the sites on the fron page and surf the forum.
And always feel free to ask questions. There is a vast great knowledge on this site. Someone will always be able to help you.

Good Luck

Frick 560! Mine hits 450@495Mhz rock stable but I cant get mine that high!

ATM i have 2 case fans (1 doppler effect), chunky coolermaster socket7 hsf attached with ASone.

What hsf you got to get it to that? And have you lapped your hsf and used AStwo or something?!?!

The K6-II is not the best overclocker at all. You can consider yourself lucky when you reach 450 +. The K6 series require a lot of voltage to reach higher speeds. I got 475 out of mine some time ago.
Good luck

I've had my 350 running @ 450 for about a year with no problems at 2.5v my board is a va-503+ (this is just my extra system I like to tinker with from time to time)

After removing the 60mm coolermaster I chucked a 60mm superdelta fan on my K6-2. After doing this I can get my K6-2 450@517Mhz.

I seriously think that to get any higher, I would have to go to watercooling. But now I got my 1.1Ghz system back, my K6-2 is merely a dm machine for my friends :)

I know how to overclock an amd k6-2. Do what i did.
Open case, pull out mobo, place in box and put on shelf.
Now, go and buy a duron (there cheap) and a new mobo..... :)

seriously but, there crap. my k6-2 500 would run no higher then 550 (even with 2.8v)...

Back