• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What tool is best for cutting a window?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nick Burns

Your company's computer guy
I am thinking about getting a new case and doing my own window mod, but I don't have the money for power tools and I don't have any right now. I do have a drill, but that is it. I have seen those "nibbler" tools. DO they work? Nibbler I also might add a couple of blowholes in the case. What should I get to do this? I am not very good with a drill, but I could probably handly a hole saw, but then what do I do for the screws for the fan mounting?

A jig saw!! although a nibbler will work, you will have one hurting fore arm and a dremel is much better than the nibbler but it still will take a much longer time than a jig saw. A Dremel is better for making fine shapes and cleaning up edges, not for large cuts. My $.02 I also would use masking tape on the bottom of the jig saw if you have to cut on the painted side of the case and a combo of the Dremel and Jig saw would suit you best and if you find you need more Horse Power than a Dremel look into a spiral saw from SEARs its the same price but 10X+ more powerful!! here is a thread from a bit back on the SEARs tool and the stuff it comes with http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=221076&highlight=sears
PS I recommend the Dremel before the SEARs tool

Last edited:
Nibbler tools work but if u can afford it, get a dremel, they aren't too expensive and easy to use. If you decide to go with the nibbler, use gloves you'll get blisters. For the screws, just drill holes for them. Good luck and have fun

I hate nibblers. I had to use one in woodshop to cut some metal for a project and i swear i took 6 nibbles and my hand was throbbing. Then i told the shop teacher and he used a jigsaw ^_^

I would only use a nibbler on aluminum, not steel.

DO I need the duct tape if I am cutting on the non painted(inside) part of the case? Or should I still use it to not mess up the paint job?

I only used tape if the cut was being done on the exterior, just to make sure I didn't scratch the paint.

If your ultra cheap you can always get some aviation sheers. They're great for snipping off rather thick pieces of metal, but they cannot be used for fine detail work like a dremel.

Wonder how a plasma cutter would do on a case?.......hmm....may have to try that today

A plasma cutter will burn up much of the paint on the door and on the cheap cases the heat could kill /distort the door.

DO I need the duct tape if I am cutting on the non painted(inside) part of the case? Or should I still use it to not mess up the paint job?

ashenfang has it. But also you want to use masking tape and not duct tape (masking is easier to clean up after ;)) and if you use masking you can draw designs on it and use it as a peal away guide after

I would use masking tape, not duct tape, masking is for masking stuff, like window thingy's when painting so its made to not be too sticky or leave nasty residue and tape on the painted side, no matter wich side you are cutting on, just to be good. (unless you are using a nibbler, then I dont really think it would matter...)

Even with the nibbler, I'd still use masking tape. On mine, I have a couple of scratch marks where the corner of the nibbler bangs around and hits stuff.

Oh.. and yes... gloves are VERY nice to use with a nibbler... Ouch ouch ouch....

Yea dont use duct tape i used it after i made a huge scratch with my jig saw i still havent cleaned all the poo off from the duct tape , "6 months later" i havent tried mind you but its still there hehe. Mind you a little windex will take it right off i just dont see it very ez so.. its no biggy

Back