• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New S3 Vcards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hopefully these cards wont end up flopping like the Savage4 and Savage2000 cards. I remember I bought the Savage4 card and being so dissapointed

I have a S3 Savage 4 in one of my old computers, but I bought it about 4 years ago when I didn't know much about video cards. Is it a DX7 card? How does it compare to other cards which came out at the same time?

No the Savage 4 is a DX6 card .And it did'nt compare favouraably to the cards of its time . It's claim to fame however was S3TC also known as S3 compressed textures which has since been integrated into DirectX as a feature . Otherwise it was too lackluster .

Does anyone know if there are drivers that enable the Savage 2000 cards to use Hardware T&L? This feature wasn't available when they first came out but the card was supposed to be capable of it.

Ouch. I was actually going to pick one of these up for cheap just to play around with it and see what it can do on an old box, but I guess I won't even bother.

Well you could look around and see if any third party drivers were ever released . I'd actually be surprised if there are any official XP drivers .

I took a quick look around and found quite a few XP drivers (unofficial of course), but didn't find anything with a detailed file with a list of driver features, so I guess you'd need the card to test the drivers with and find out that way. If S3 themselves never enabled T&L I'm not sure if a third party would end up getting to it either though.

Back