• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

rookie needing oc advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PECFowler

Registered
i'm brand new to overclocking and i need help...
i have a celeron 2.4 system, with a soyo dragon 2 mboard, also 512 kingston ddr166mhz, seagate 120gb hdd, housebrand copper core heatsink/fan, 2 80mm chassis fans antec 350w smart blue pw supply

what is my best course of action to take if i plan to overclock it? any advice would be greatly appreciated.

i am also looking for a relatively cheap but well performing graphics card what are some good brands/ models fitting that description?
:D :D :D

hmm im not sure your mobo is ideal for overclocking. You need a agp/pci lock and i dont think that mobo supports it.

also your ram is very outdated and i doubt you'll be able to overclock very far with it.

although i think you mean its ddr333 not ddr166 (i hope) if its ddr333 than youll have better luck with overclocking it

anyway, go into bios and increase the fsb in small steps and check for stability with benchmark like 3mark03 or prime95.

once you hit your limit you can try raising the voltage a little and see if that helps for stability. im not sure what optimum voltages are for that chip.

if you can, id leave the fsb:mem ratio at 3:2 if you have such an option in bios since your ram isnt that great.

wrong on ram

the ram is ddr266mhz

also what is optimum temp on my processor?

where do i get the tools for overclocking(the ones mentioned above?)

You don't need tools, just press the delete key when you first power up the machine and enter the BIOS setup utility of the machine. Try increasing the fsb some and test for stability. Your chip runs at 100/400fsb to start with (100 in reality), so you can likely increase it quite a bit before complications will get out of hand. Try increasing it by 10 until you find the limits and then there are other settings you can try to allow further increases.

I would bump the fsb to 115. Since your multiplier is high (24) it will benifit you since your memory is only 266. At 115 FSB your CPU speed will be 2760 (which is a good start) and your ram will be at 306. If it's stable, at this speed then try for 120. If it locks up or blue screens, then put it back to 115 or 110 (whichever was stable).

argh!!!

my mboard died!!!!

this has nothing to do with trying to oc it just did, i woke up this morning and turned it on(well i tried to anyhow) the thing wouldn't turn on... the chip on the board labeled intel is roasting(its temp is a bout 130f) and the comp isn't even on any ideas on what to do?

Note; when i said tools i meant the software that u use to make sure it is still stable and so on

Time to buy a new motherboard, and new memory. An Abit IS7 with a stick of some pretty cheap ram should do. It shouldn't cost you no more $150.

any other ideas?

i just bought the god darned thing, so i'm not exactly thrilled with that idea any other ideas?

Well if you just bought it. RMA it. Even though it would take them longer to replace the board, then you would still have a poor overclocking board.

vga

unfourtunately im on a tight budget (can't hit over 70$) so i got a nvidia geforce 5200 fx any way on improving it?

btw was that a decent choice?

stuff

i might be getting a different mboard(something below 100$) any ideas on what to get i've heard abit is good is there anything else i've been eying the neo2 by msi due to the fact that it has the same chipset as old mboard and lookes to fit my needs is it any good for ocing?

what are the temp limits on my celeron, i reeeeeaaaaaaaaaally don't want to fry it?

Back