• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just installed redhat...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LiGhTBoY

I've used so far: debian, slackware, mandrake,redhat (old) etc...etc... :cool:

So I decided to install redhat because norhing worked as it should in debian =). I d/l the CDs, burn them, and prepare to install not knowing what will follow...(stop chewing your fingernails)
The setup started fine, all was well to up to the point where diskdruid takes over... I prepare to setup a partition for / (I had several ext2 partitions for experimenting, as you can see I adore installing linux =P) and proceed with dd...then it reports something about the partitions not alligning correctly so it asks if I want to > initiallise the drive<....read through, all partitions would be deleted....so I aim with the pointer at the no button.....the electric impulse is sent to my finger muscles, and right before i click the button, the screen blinks,and the mouse jerks off to yes.....so I clicked yes. :rolleyes: I tried undeleting the partitions with parition magic, but only my primary (C:) parition was undeleted, and I have to reinstall winblowz on that, later. So after making a new record in pencil-case throwing, I pop the redhat cd in, reformat the hard drive and install redhat.....The cost? 10.2GB of files (never mind what files, all sorts of files from documents to..... ;) ) lost.

But I'm not worried about it, it's a win-win situation: Got redhat installed, and got rid of winblowz....now if i can only convince my dad to use linux for his spreadsheets....

Now you have to download apt for Red Hat. It makes downloading and installing Linux apps sooooo much easier. It prevents "dependency hell," where you have to keep downloading libraries because Linux is telling you that they are missing. Then get Synaptic (apt GUI) and you'll never look back at Windows.

Yup apt is nice. Also get openoffice so you can convince your dad to use free software.

Yes OpenOffice is a great app. Except for that auto word complete thing in Writer, I still don't know how to turn that off. Another great business-type app is Evolution. It mimics Outlook, but as far as I know doesn't support Windows Exchange Server (which could be a problem). Also, Gnucash is a good replacement to Money.

Already installed openoffice, my personal fav =), now on to d/l apt
Thanks for your replies

TwistedAnimator said:
Yes OpenOffice is a great app. Except for that auto word complete thing in Writer, I still don't know how to turn that off. Another great business-type app is Evolution. It mimics Outlook, but as far as I know doesn't support Windows Exchange Server (which could be a problem). Also, Gnucash is a good replacement to Money.

Actually I think Evolution does support Exchange, or at the least the latest version does. I'm using it right now to connect to my school's Exchange server and it's working perfectly. I just told Evolution that it was a POP server.

EDIT: Does anyone know where a copy of apt can be downloaded?

Last edited:
DarkJediSleikas said:

Actually I think Evolution does support Exchange, or at the least the latest version does. I'm using it right now to connect to my school's Exchange server and it's working perfectly. I just told Evolution that it was a POP server.

Cool! I'm going to have to check that out.

Back