• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wireless XBox Adapter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bkny1055

xboxLive.jpg

anyone have one of these and how does it work

September 18, 2003 - It's a fact: No one likes wires. And with the ever-increasing number of wires appearing as consoles go online, the mess, sadly, is only getting worse. What's an OC gamer to do, then? Well, there are third-party solutions such as D-Link's excellent DWL-810, which cuts the wire count by one, but not everyone wants a third-party solution. Lucky for those people, Microsoft has officially unveiled its own wireless solution for the Xbox and it one-ups other companie's products by offering increased speed and extensive support.
The Xbox Wireless Adaptor, co-developed by Xbox and Microsoft Broadband Networking, connects your Xbox to any 802.11b or 802.11g network. Through an exclusive Dashboard interface, the peripheral will auto-configure itself so that any networking pains will be kept to a minimum. Also, security-minded folks can also rest at night as the adaptor will support Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP). The Xbox Wireless Adaptor will be priced at $139 and will be available on October 5, 2003.

It was only a matter of time before Microsoft released such a peripheral. The inclusion of support for the speedier 802.11g standard is a huge drawing factor (assuming you have such a network) and also makes it the wireless solution to get if speed is an issue (third-party solutions thus far only support the 802.11b standard, though newer models will inevitably appear).

Nice post. I am very interested in this. I have been waiting for a while for a nice wireless adapter. I hate running 50 ft of cat5 across the living room.

i also have a 30 foot connection from my Linksys to my XBox and its a pain in the ars. i have a friend who has the wireless linksys and says that he losses connection at times does it not happen to you AC Slater

Sometimes it won't connect to my network but unplugging the bridge and plugging it back it works just fine. It does it maybe twice a month or less, not too often.

Back