• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

copper shims?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

subzero

ok was looking at these copper shims and wondering exactly what they do. apparently they prevent damage to the CPU when installing a HSF but i dont see the point. is it possible that they can have a cooling advantage aswell since they keep the HSF lvl with the CPU core hence giving more contact area? thanks

subzero said:
ok was looking at these copper shims and wondering exactly what they do. apparently they prevent damage to the CPU when installing a HSF but i dont see the point. is it possible that they can have a cooling advantage aswell since they keep the HSF lvl with the CPU core hence giving more contact area? thanks

Actually they hinder the cooling advantage, their main purpose is to protect the core from being crushed.

Copper (and other electrically conductive shims) can actually cause some problems by shorting the CPU. If you need a shim always look for one explicitly mentioning that it is non-conductive.

i dont need one i was just thinking it may help cool it by keeping the HSF or water block lvl with the core.. i may get one just to see if it helps at all and report back

Back