• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Computer questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jinu

Here is what i plan on building. please let me know what you guys think and if there is anything you guys would change.

1. Thermaltake Xaser III V2000A (Aluminum Case)
2. Asus A7N8X Deluxe nForce2 Socket A 400 Mhz FSB
3. AMD Athlon XP 3000+ 400MHz fsb BARTON CPU
4. Unsure about heatsink and fan
5. Unsure about power supply
6. Unsure about Ram
7. Nvidia GeForce2 400 MX(coming from old system, too cheap to get a new one)

I am also bringing over 3 HD(20.5, 120 and a 160GB), and my cd-r burner. i have an external 3.5 floppy that i will use as opposed to getting an internal. what do you guys think? i have seen alot of people on the board recommend the 2500+ over other models. is there really that big of a difference? also, is there that big of a difference in 333FSB and 400FSB? may seem like a dumb question, but im new to building a computer. this is my current config:

950 Mhz AMD Classic
Jabil AMD motherboard 100Mhz FSB
512mb PC100

its just getting old and i want a new toy.:D
please keep in mind that price is kind of a factor. im a college student and i just want a better computer. thanks

great cpu, very nice mobo, case is nice but $$ just for looks.
get thermalright slk-800 or 900 (check to see if they fit first).
get antec or enermax psu, 350-400w or more.
get any name brand ram, kingston, kingmaxx, corsair, ocz.
they basically all made by only a few manufactures (micron, spectek(sp?), infineon.
you will need pc3200 or better speed memory also.

since you are on a budget you can ease up on the cpu speed, and case.

try looking around more

1. Thermaltake Xaser III V2000A (Aluminum Case)
2. Abit NF7 NForce-2 (ver 2) AGP 8X DDR400 400MHz FSB
3. AMD Athlon XP 2500+ BARTON CPU
4. SLK-900 and not really sure about a fan(was going to use the sk7, but cant find one.
5. Antec true 430 or 550
6. Unsure about Ram, but it will be 512 of pc3200
7. Nvidia GeForce2 400 MX(coming from old system, too cheap to get a new one)

after reading and researching. i figured this would be a pretty good setup. still not sure on the case. would like to try something cheaper.

Back