• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DVD roms for large games

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EgoFumPapa

ive been reading up on some upcoming game releases, like half life 2 and unreal 2k4, that say theyre going to be using dvd rom due to the large game size. since dvds are generally more expensive, does this mean we'll be paying more for our games? i personally think $50 is more than enough for a new game, but do you think they could get upto $70-80 range with dvds?

It seems that the game companies will release it with a collectors edition with the DVD's to recover some of the costs. Though when game DVD's become standard I would expect them to be the same cost as they are now. One DVD can't be that much more expensive then 4 or 5 CD's.

You can buy lots of 1000 quality DVD's for like 75 cents a peice. That won't significantly impact the final cost of a game.

I'd tend to think that the increased cost of DVDs would be offset by the fact that you only need one, as opposed to 2-4 CDs.

I've been waiting for them to do this. It'll be nice to only have to stick in ONE cd per install, rather than say, 3 for UT2k3, or 4 for Diablo II/LOD

I am of the opinion that if a game comes on 3 or more CDs the publisher should give us the option of buying it on one DVD instead.

DVD media could bring other advantages to the table as well. Anybody else want to cry when you watch a games FMV and its been way overcompressed to fit on the media and looks like crap? Well a switch to DVD would allow for the same beautiful, high rez, space eating FMV we were spoiled with in the early days of CDROM games. Until games get big enough to annex a whole DVD that is :D

Lt. Max said:
and u need a smaller/cheaper case as well with 1 dvd as opposed to 2-4cd's
Maybe if UT2K3 had come on one DVD instead of 3 CDs we would have actually gotten a jewel case rather than 3 sleaves.

PS2 and consoles have had their games coming on DVDs for a while, so I don't see what the big deal is. It will be the same price as it is now.

Gnerma said:
I am of the opinion that if a game comes on 3 or more CDs the publisher should give us the option of buying it on one DVD instead.
I agree. Baldur's Gate had that option way back in '98. I don't think it caught on very well because DVD-ROM drives were still pretty rare and expensive in those days. Now that almost everybody has a DVD drive, I think it would work much better (as long as they don't charge a premium for the DVD version).

Prices stayed the same from cartriges to CDs (consoles) and from floppies to CDs and CDs to DVDs (consoles) and tapes to floppies and etc...

Game prices have been super stable over the years, with the exception of over-priced N64 cartriges.

OC Noob said:
Prices stayed the same from cartriges to CDs (consoles) and from floppies to CDs and CDs to DVDs (consoles) and tapes to floppies and etc...

Game prices have been super stable over the years, with the exception of over-priced N64 cartriges.
I noticed prices drop significantly from carts to CDs. In the early 90s A recently released SNES game would cost anywhere between 80 to 60 USD. And were talking about early 90s money here. It's been an immovable 50 since we've moved to CDs though.

EDIT - immovable has 2 M's, Baka :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Maybe a few rare games would cost over $60, but 99% of games were under $60.

Thats the thing about generalizations, there are always exceptions.

If you were able to look at the release price of every game since the Atari 2600 I'd be willing to bet that probably 95% of games were $50 or under. I don't remeber ever paying more then $50 for a SNES game, not saying that there weren't any out there, but I think they were a small fraction of the games released. Like big, big titles or the occasional odd ball.

N64 was an exception and we all know how well that went over;)

Back