• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC wont start up with overclocking.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lykkwid

Hello,

I have a AMD Athlon XP 1800+ running at 1500mhz. I use to be able to change the CLK_JP Jumper to overclock it to 1667mhz+ but when I tried it earlier for some reason it did not work. It had worked earlier that day, and I believe it was because I took out my heatsink for the CPU and cleaned it out and something came loose. I've checked and I can't find any loose wires.

When I turn the computer on with the CLK_JP jumper changed the monitor displays this something like"No signal or no connection" Anyone help?

Verify that the heatsink was reinstalled properly. It could be that it is not making good contact with the cpu and the extra overclocking is causing too much heat to even boot.

Also, if the CPU was unlocked, make sure that you didn't mess up the unlock when you removed and replaced the heatsink.

In what could I have messed up the unlock of my CPU and how could I go about fixing (yes i did unlock the CPU...)

just make sure that your conductive grease is only where its supposed to be and you dont have any bridges cross connected or anything like that.
Also, as I understand it the monitor should only display the "no connection" message if the video cable isnt plugged in, it shouldnt matter if the system is on, off, dead, or otherwise....

The monitor will display that no signal type of message any time the monitor is powered on and there is no signal from the computer. This can definitaly happen when the machine is on and is not sending video.

A bad unlock can definitaly cause an issue where no video is sent. What method did you use to do the unlock?

thxs for the help, but i fixed it I had then Jumper setting at 120 mhz when I tried to overclock it so i set it to default and now it works fine

The monitor will display that no signal type of message any time the monitor is powered on and there is no signal from the computer. This can definitaly happen when the machine is on and is not sending video.

So when the computer is completely off and unplugged how does the computer still send a signal to the monitor? I dont disbelive you, I just dont understand it. Also I've found that when the cable is unplugged if you short the end pins of the middle row on the connector together the "No connection" message on the screen goes away. So what exactly controls this thing?

I realize this is a thread hijack but since the original question has been answered I dont think it makes much difference

The computer doesn't still send a signal to the monitor when the power is off and unplugged. Most monitors, after a certain amount of time being powered on with no signal will display some message along these lines. The message that is displayed is not sent from the pc, its the monitor itself that displays this message.

Unplug your PC and turn on your monitor and see what happens. Your monitor will have some way of indicating it is not getting a signal.

All monitors are not alike though. The monitor I am using right now just goes into a form of standbye mode and the power light blinks amber.

Back