• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about 9700 and 9800s

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nemo

Okay, this is probably a pretty simple question, but I'm pretty new to ATI cards and haven't been following their development very closely. Can someone give a quick rundown of the differences between the 9700 np, 9700 pro, 9800 np, and 9800 pro, please? Is the only difference between all 4 cards clock/memory speeds? Do the non-pro cards overclock up to pro speeds easily? Is there overlap? Like, do the 9700 pros outperform the 9800 non-pros?

Thanks in advance...I gotta plan for the big HL2 upgrade. :)

The difference, although extremely minor, is in the chip architecture itself. The 9800/9800pro has a few enhancements added, mainly to help shader performance. Other than the 9700-9800 difference, the only other differences are in clock speeds.

The 9700pro is about 2% faster than the 9800nonpro, although the 9800 tends to overclock a lot better.

Yes, you almost always can easily overclock up to pro speeds.

All in all, I'd reccommend the 9800np. Best $250 card around. If you have money to burn, you can get a 9800pro, but remember that the only difference will be slightly higher clock speeds.

Before I went out and bought my 9800np, I first softmodded my 9500np into a 9700np*, then overclocked to somewhere between a np and pro to get a sense of whether or not the speed increase would be that substantial. And it was ;) I'd say that for $250 a 9800np is your best bet, unless you can find someone who will sell you their 9700pro for $200, or find a 9800np on eBay for less than $250.

*I get artifacts when I softmod, but the card runs/benches just like the real thing.

Thanks, guys. I'm leaning toward the 9800np now. I notice from pricewatch that the 9700 Pro runs just a bit more expensive... would the 9800 np overclock better than the 9700 Pro (I mean generally, I know each individual card has its own characteristics)? Is there really much disadvantage to getting the 9700 Pro instead of the 9800 np?

Man, I bet ATI is rubbing its hands in anticipation of HL2 hitting the shelves and several million gamers all saying at once "Wow, I need a better video card!" :D

Back