• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking My K7D and MP 1900's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lukeszabo01

I have a MSI K7D Master-L, with 2 x Athlon MP 1900+ and 2GB ECC DDR 266mhz RAM and I am wondering what the expected overclock I can get from this system set up? I have never bothered to overclock and I was just wondering what successes anyone has had in the past with this kind of set up and what the BIOS settings you tried were, FSB, memory settings, Voltages etc, that you used...
Any help here would be good, I have really good cooling happening at the moment in preperation of overclocking, my CPU's are currently running at 34 and 38 degrees and a case temp of 28 degrees. I have been looking at the boards and asking around and it seems that I have a good platform for overclocking, so I am very eager to give it a go....

Thankyou in advance, to anyone who can help me...

Wow, those are good temps.

If your DDR is just PC2100, then that may hold you back a bit on overclocking the FSB, but try these steps:

First, set you memory timings to these manual values: 16,16,6,2,2,2.5,3. These aren't the best settings. The best settings are: 16,16,6,2,2,2,3, but you memory probably won't go too far with those settings, if it is just PC2100.

Next bump up the FSB, one step at a time and boot up to see if the system is stable enough to boot.

If it will boot, then restart, bump the FSB another notch and do it again.

Your first limiting factor, if you're using PC2100, will probably be the RAM. If you system blue-screens during bootup, back down a notch.

Once you know where you limit is, FSB-wise, then test it, by running two instances of Prime95 overnight. Also, try running a round of 3DMark2001, just to make sure your AGP and memory are going to be stable in practical use, at that FSB.

Next, if you are using MP's, then they should be multiplier unlocked, so start bumping up the multiplier by one notch at a time, all the way to 12.5. Test by booting, as before, then test with Prime95.

Wow, those are good temps.

If your DDR is just PC2100, then that may hold you back a bit on overclocking the FSB, but try these steps:

First, set you memory timings to these manual values: 16,16,6,2,2,2.5,3. These aren't the best settings. The best settings are: 16,16,6,2,2,2,3, but you memory probably won't go too far with those settings, if it is just PC2100.

Next bump up the FSB, one step at a time and boot up to see if the system is stable enough to boot.

If it will boot, then restart, bump the FSB another notch and do it again.

Your first limiting factor, if you're using PC2100, will probably be the RAM. If you system blue-screens during bootup, back down a notch.

Once you know where you limit is, FSB-wise, then test it, by running two instances of Prime95 overnight. Also, try running a round of 3DMark2001, just to make sure your AGP and memory are going to be stable in practical use, at that FSB.

Next, if you are using MP's, then they should be multiplier unlocked, so start bumping up the multiplier by one notch at a time, all the way to 12.5. Test by booting, as before, then test with Prime95.

to add to what cmcquistion suggested....i would also try increasing the voltage to 1.8v max (1.9v if 1.75 is stock voltage)....as long as your cpu temps are below 55C that is....

of course you will want to increase the voltage only the maximum necessary for stable operation at a given speed...

if those cpus are palominos then you can expect a max o/c of 1.8-2ghz....try at least 150mhz fsb x 12 multiplier

and if those cpus are thoroughbreds then you can expect a max o/c of 1.9-2.2ghz....try 150x14 or 150x15

Back