• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting a NF7 V2.0....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Goofyman23

Currently have a stick of 512 crucial 2700, couple of things.
Generally speaking, whats the highest FSB could I go with that on stock timings?
Is there a better memory I should get?
Price is in the 100-150 range.

Im not that well informed about memory timings, what exactly do they do?

Anyone want to buy my mobo? Aparantly I dont have 100 posts so I cant sell it in the classifieds :p

Thanks for helping me out with mah nub questions :D :p

pc2700 runs at 166mhz stock. the abit supports 200 mhz stock. if you can get the ram to do 200fsb youd be doing good.
as for what memory to get..... it all depends on who you talk to. right now on my abit im running some kingston hyper-x thats doing very well. just remeber when buying ram, especially "specialty overclockers" ram, ie corsair, geil, mushkin, ocz, etc.. then its pretty much going to only do what its rated for, and probaly not a whole lot more. what i mean is that when companies grade each stick individually, they sell them accordingly. which means that th pc3200 you buy will probably max out around what they rated it for, otherwise they would rate it higher and sell it for more. they arent gonna give you much headroom unless you pay for their top shelf stuff. this is why i like companies that dont rate the chips, companies like twinmos for example. imop youll have a better chance of getting more headroom for a given rated speed from companies like this. i cna explain more if you still dont get it, just reply.
memory timings are basically how fast the ram refreshes itself. lower the better. fastest theoretical speed for ddr memory is 2-2-2-5. you may be able to set it lower but it wont help. thats as fast as it can go. some people even do better with higher timings. the numbers represent clock cycles. so lets say your cas is set to 2, that means that the ram will refresh every 2 clock cycles. its a little more invlolved than that but its the jist of the matter.

as for seling your board, you only have a few posts to go till you can get in the classifieds. reply back to this thread a few times and your golden. you might wanna take down the blatent advertising in the meantime before a mod sees it just to be safe. nothing personell, its just the rules.
so let us know if this answeres any of your q's! Oh, almost forgot, for 100-150 you can get some nice 512megs of pc3200-3500. i suggest hyper-x3500, or some buffalo3700. those are the 2 id get right now, or some adata if you can find it.

Blatent advertising removed :p

Ok, say budget was around 200-300, twinmos (dual channel or twister) or buffalo?

I'll make it more specific:
With the dual channel mobo, I'm going to go with 2 sticks of 512 (or 256 if 512 is too exp.).

Should I go with twinmos, buffalo, or kingston?

Oh and I apologize about my lame posts, need to up my count to sell my current mobo :D

dunno, id go for Corsair, read a lot of good things about it, and the modules simply look cool :p

Kingston seemed to have a lot of module errors, ESPECIALLY the hyper-x series...

I have noticed people, including myself, having great luck with our PC2700 EL DDR on NForce2 mainboards.

Plus, you can rest assured knowing that OCZ will be here for you if you need an RMA or technical support.

-Sean

Sadly, you missed a good deal on Mushkin (even though I returned mine because I wanted some extra dough). It was 2x512 PC3200 BH-5 for $278. They have the BEST customer service I've ever seen. I called on the last day I was able to and said "I want to RMA for some 2x256 black level 2" and the ladies said "Alright, their on their way with the RMA information." Took a whole... 2 minutes.

As for other memory, look for Kingston Value Ram with 2-2-2 timings on newegg.com. They use pretty good chips, but I wouldn't know how well they work on NF7-S, because I'm using the Mushkin as mentioned on mine.

BTW, don't expect extremely high FSB, for some reason, most of our boards tend to cap out at 210, but then again, thats probably just a 2500 barton issue. However, I do know the highest I've seen is 248, but others never go past 235.

Last edited:
Pake said:
Sadly, you missed a good deal on Mushkin (even though I returned mine because I wanted some extra dough). It was 2x512 PC3200 BH-5 for $278. They have the BEST customer service I've ever seen. I called on the last day I was able to and said "I want to RMA for some 2x256 black level 2" and the ladies said "Alright, their on their way with the RMA information." Took a whole... 2 minutes.

As for other memory, look for Kingston Value Ram with 2-2-2 timings on newegg.com. They use pretty good chips, but I wouldn't know how well they work on NF7-S, because I'm using the Mushkin as mentioned on mine.

BTW, don't expect extremely high FSB, for some reason, most of our boards tend to cap out at 210, but then again, thats probably just a 2500 barton issue. However, I do know the highest I've seen is 248, but others never go past 235.
Do I want Mushkins Hi-Perf. Black or the Dual Packs (do they both have the BH5 chips?). I'm not familiar with dual channel memory, so I didnt know if I need dual channel specific ram or not.

Goofyman23 said:

Do I want Mushkins Hi-Perf. Black or the Dual Packs (do they both have the BH5 chips?). I'm not familiar with dual channel memory, so I didnt know if I need dual channel specific ram or not.

Go for the Mushkin Black Level 2 Dual Packs, because they end up costing less than if you bought single sticks.

You don't "need" DC ram, but it is highly suggested most times. Running them in DC normally yields the best results, but gives lower FSB. However, with DC, you gain back those FSB with sheer performance.

So basically if you run a 200FSB DC set, you'll see the same performance, give or take, if you ran just single channel at 216 FSB. Not sure how accurate I am on this, but DC gives about an 8% boost on NF2 boards.

Back