• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

More HD Problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CalsonicGTR

I'm having some HD problems on these two computers I have been working on sparingly for the last few weeks. Here are the problems

Computer #1
This drive is using a Western Digital 600BB 60GB Hard Drive. The computer is an old Compaq Presario 4808 with 192MB of RAM and one of those old speed-enhancer chips running at 400MHz (Evergreen Spectra). This drive previously had an NTFS partition on it, and that partition recognized the entire 60GB. I decided to use the drive for a Win98 drive, so I went through FDISK, and repartitioned the drive. The only problem is that the drive is only recognizing 8GB of the drive. Why is it recognizing so little? Are there any diagnostic tools that I can use to recover the space?

Computer #2
This drive is using the Maxtor 40GB Hard Drive that I got back from Maxtor. This drive also had an NTFS partition before I decided to reformat it and stick it in my bro's old Compaq Deskpro (P1 200MHz, 128MB RAM). Whenever I go to boot with the Startup Disk, I get a "1790 Disk 0 Error". I then hit F1 to boot. It then goes to the 98 selection screen, where i can either boot from the HD or from the CDROM. No matter which selection I choose, the computer then goes to a black screen and stops doing anything. What might be the problem here and how might I go about fixing it. Thanks for any help. I sure hope you guys dont fall asleep reading this :)

Prob 1

Regarding problem #1. When you go to FDISK, it should ask if you want to enable large disk support. It should prompt you even before the FDISK screen comes up. Did you select yes that you would like to enable large disk support? Or did it even ask you? Perhaps you should use a more up to date boot disk.

To answer that question, yes FDISK did ask me if I wanted to use Large-Disk support. I selected yes, and went along my way. Any other ideas?

Back