• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

thinking of a abit IS7 refurb

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PECFowler

Registered
i'm thinking of buying a abit IS7 refurb heres my system:
2x 256mb kingston ddr266mhz
2.4 celeron processor
nvidia 5200 fx
antec 350w smartblue pw sup
seagate 120 baracuda hdd

is the IS7 good for ocing with this setup?

help would be greatly appreciated

no, they hate OCing 533Mhz P4s let alone celerons, and your ram would be no way ideal for OCing

They are??
My P4 2.53GHz goes to over 3GHz, FSB at 160, that would be a decent enough overclock for a Celly to start with, and the board runs fine with my RAM running asynchronously (at a different speed) so using 266MHz ram should be fine.

the gains arent phenominal, as in the case of 2.4C and PC3500 or higher

Spyda said:
no, they hate OCing 533Mhz P4s let alone celerons, and your ram would be no way ideal for OCing

That is substantially incorrect.

PECFowler said:
i'm thinking of buying a abit IS7 refurb heres my system:
2x 256mb kingston ddr266mhz
2.4 celeron processor
nvidia 5200 fx
antec 350w smartblue pw sup
seagate 120 baracuda hdd

is the IS7 good for ocing with this setup?

help would be greatly appreciated

I bought an IS7-E refurb and I couldn't be happier with it. I think you would love it and I know of no better value in a motherboard.

my IS7 and 533 P4 didnt like OCing any, wouldnt go over 150 FSB stable, in a P4PE, they were at least at 170 FSB, if you actually did a bit of looking around, you would see that a lot of people had the same problems,

dont tell me i dont know what im on about, mate

If you will look as far as my sig, you will see that IS7s have great potential with 533fsb cpus. Sometimes it's not what you've got, but what you do with it.

That may be, but there is no reason to run the 4:5 ratio in his case. Suppose his 2.4 Celeron is capable of 3.2GHz (a realistic goal). This would entail the use of a 133MHz fsb. At 1:1 this means running the ram at 266MHz, a perfect consequence considering his PC2100 ram.

Running 4:5 on a 865/875 chipset is next to useless. Not only will it likely result in slack timings to allow the increased memory clock rate, the increased memory clock rate itself is of dubious value. In addition the PAT and PAT-like Abit GAT function much better at 1:1 than any other ratio, and this factor along with the tighter bios memory timings possible at 1:1 means that there is a potential latency advantage at 1:1 that can and will conteract the benefit from increased memory clock rate. And as we are talking about a dual channel architechture in the first place, bandwidth is never in short supply, even running the memory at 266MHz.

Let me say this thread is one of the poorer examples of contructive input and posting quality I have yet seen. If you don't have anything constructive to add, don't bother posting. Not only are the majority of the sentiments here unproductive, but they violate if not the the letter of certainly the spirit of the user agreement all agree to to access this forum.

larva said:

Let me say this thread is one of the poorer examples of contructive input and posting quality I have yet seen. If you don't have anything constructive to add, don't bother posting. Not only are the majority of the sentiments here unproductive, but they violate if not the the letter of certainly the spirit of the user agreement all agree to to access this forum.

I agree. One persons results doesn't mean the guy next to you will have the same results.

Spyda, sounds like you have a bunk board, but your suggestions are unfounded and most likely incorrect as a whole.

Do a search regarding IS7's and you will see the majority of people are happy with them, some with similar components your using. Its entirely possible your board may be bad or one of your components like the memory may have issues.

But I honestly feel your giving bad advise based on your experience. If you owned two IS7's and they both suffered the same issues, only then would your results support the advise you have given in this thread, your results may not be indicative regarding the majority of IS7's

I once had a BE6 that killed three cpus right out of the box, does that mean all BE6's are crap? Heck no

:rolleyes:

larva said:
If you will look as far as my sig, you will see that IS7s have great potential with 533fsb cpus. Sometimes it's not what you've got, but what you do with it.

True so true.

I also want to add that after some lengthy trial and error, my IS7-G is sooo fine tuned that it makes me sick. The board is really an oc dream when it comes to doing things with mem timings/ratios, etc..

Just recently I finally figured out how to use the N/B strap function, probably everyone on here has already discovered this as I am a relatively new abit user, Asus and Aopen have been my boards of choice over the years. Anyway, figured out that if you set the N/B Strap to 667 and then set the ratio to 5:4 the mem shows up as 1:1 ratio, GAT is fully enabled and you still get a CPU running at 245+ FSB, nice gains across the board . . . pun intended. Made the initial error in thinking that you had to set ratio to 1:1 and the strap would take care of keeping the mem speed down, but it turns out that by setting the ratio to 5:4 it makes it so the mem is running 1:1 with the N/B strap speed. Kind of interesting, mem shows up as 1:1 ratio, yeah 490 not!, but is really working at a 5/4 ratio. Bumps the bandwidth up a few notches and does some good on vid marks. Nice little trick there Abit.

Anyway, you want good performance get the IS7 or the Asus 865 deluxe, both will do you in good stead. As an aside I have seen Larva's benchies and they are almost on par with mine, see my sig.

Last edited:
Spyda said:
didnt that experience attach a certain stigma to those boards though

In your mind perhaps.

If you want to share your experience with a product, by all means do so. Just don't try to extend it to a sweeping judgement without a bit more data to back it up.

If you had tried a few boards, different cpus, several ram types, and all settings you would have a more viable basis for a judgement about these boards. One unfortunate combination does not indidcate they cannot work. And as Abit's bios tuning is sooo sharp and versitile, it may well be that you had settings in the bios that were responsible for your lack of results with the IS7.

One thing is certain about the dual channel Abit boards, they are an expert's tool. But for those who understand their nature, component selection and system design that caters to this nature, and the intricacies of their bios's no board is as fast. The components this particular user has are a perfect fit for the IS7, and I think it will milk more out of his celeron than any other board.

But just as important a point is the rude celeron-trashing talk in this thread. We all know P4's perform at a higher level, but he's already got the celeron. Focusing on dislke for it is not productive at this juncture. It is far more useful to help him make the most of the chip, and the IS7 series is an excellent way to do that.

I just got a refibished is7 and i couldn't be happier. It included everything in the box even though i was lead to believe otherwise. Needless to say it was a very pleasant suprise.:D

uh.. thanks?

thanx for the helpful(well...sorta) advice once i get enough i'm probabaly going to get one(an IS7)

Back