• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

oem vs retail when buying an intel cpu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lt. Max

i read a long time ago about oem not being as good as the retail version of the cpu...
whats the difference beside the 3 year warranty?

search isnt working right now :|

max

retail comes with the stock hsf and oem does not... otherwise i don't think theres any other difference besides the 3year warranty you mentioned

Go with retail is its cheaper or not alot more, cuz u get the stock hsf to use for anything else

actually oems are usually alot cheaper.... i don't think there is any difference between the two chips

people tend to think OEMs are not as good as they dont go through the same validation tests as the BOXed CPU's due to the 30day vs 3year warenty.

So supperstition may play a large matter in this situation...
but i tend to preffer a BOX CPU (hey and you get a sticker). but i have bought OEM as well.

i bought my p4 2.53ghz retail in january for about $230, i duno it just seems like a cpu would be something you would invest money into since oems are probably not as reliable, and if u get a DOA it sucks. =)

I agree with our Symphony of the Night fan over here. ;) Get the retail box, there's only a $5 difference in price between the OEM and the retail 2.4c if you get it from newegg. OEMs can be rather shady. I've seen some "new" OEM chips that were pretty well boogered up. Think crusty fingerprints.

jAY said:
So supperstition may play a large matter in this situation...
but i tend to preffer a BOX CPU (hey and you get a sticker). but i have bought OEM as well.

I agree. Retail just ensures having the best chip, even though OEM may be perfectly equal. Superstition or not, you get a not too shabby HSF with it, and in the case of the latest copper core designs it's a decent product.
Hey and isn't overclocking all about superstition anyway? :D

retail. Most definitely.

I certainly don't trust when a seller says "opened and tested" as if this was a guarantee. Sounds to me more like fishing for a good overclock chip and discarding of the average ones.

With retail it's at least an honest crapshoot. I just bought a retail 1.8ghz northwood and right out of the box it does 2.8ghz at stock voltage. An amazing chip.

b.

Makes more sense to buy the Retail Box.

3 year Warranty for retail box is handled by Intel itself; whereas with OEM's it's up to the delaer to honor the 30 day period.

Z_oc said:
Makes more sense to buy the Retail Box.

3 year Warranty for retail box is handled by Intel itself; whereas with OEM's it's up to the delaer to honor the 30 day period.

Warenty doesnt really even matter, once its overclocked, the warenty goes out the window

Sir Golitech said:

How true this is....OH I can't wait for my 1.2

well thier is no real way for them to tell....
unless the melt the core or something like that,
Its more of a matter of honesty

as a footnote it may depend on the situation and the specifics. for example, there is an on-line seller, well actually there are many, which deal in premium prices for specially tested overclocked cpu's? right?

are you going to buy an OEM cpu from them with any expectation of a reasonable overclock?

b.

bardos said:
as a footnote it may depend on the situation and the specifics. for example, there is an on-line seller, well actually there are many, which deal in premium prices for specially tested overclocked cpu's? right?

are you going to buy an OEM cpu from them with any expectation of a reasonable overclock?

b.

Kind of defeats the purpose of overclocking a chip by paying for a mediocre one.
That reseller will make sure he sells the best OCing chips for the most money. Also, he'll try obtaining the highest possible (population-maintainable) overclock. Such a procedure would only reduce your chances of overclocking a "pre-tested' chip.
In short, the OEM-Retail difference is not so important there anymore.

I've got a OEM 1.8A (in sig) that crapped out this morning. I have only 5 more days to RMA it until the warrenty runs out. Maybe I should stick with retail. BTW, the voltage was stock, and it wasn't a temp problem, because it was 60 degrees outside which ment the room temp was around 65 (in a sunroom so the temps are almost the same as outside during the night).

i like the warranty :) cause even when i upgrade this rig in a year or so a 2.4c is no slouch and will be great for a secondary rig :)

NiTrO bOiE said:
I've got a OEM 1.8A (in sig) that crapped out this morning. I have only 5 more days to RMA it until the warrenty runs out. Maybe I should stick with retail. BTW, the voltage was stock, and it wasn't a temp problem, because it was 60 degrees outside which ment the room temp was around 65 (in a sunroom so the temps are almost the same as outside during the night).

As jAy said: you overclocked it, you broke it. It's not right to lie and try to get a free replacement in such a case. There's been many threads on this topic already... do the right thing.

Back