• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Would this be benificial?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vampiregabe

I have been doing a lot of thinking about the thermal dissapation of heat when a mixture of air and water is concerned. We all know that water moves heat away faster than air, hence we all use water cooling. However when we cool our water down, we use air. Radiators have a great thermal dissapation, when they use a copper core and have fans blowing air through the fins.

Is it possible to remove more heat from the water using a direct air to water method? I am not talking about having your water rain down, but instead taking an air pump and inside a large resivoir pump a large amout of air into the water.

Take a cup of coffee and blow over the top of it, it's pointless because there is not enough surface area the air is contacting.

Take a straw and blow through the straw from the bottom of the cup. It cools off much faster.

Take a large circular res, say 4"x8". Take 1 foot of 3/8" pvc flex tubing and wind it in a flat coil and punch tiny holes into it spaced about 1/2" apart. Attach it 4" down into the res. On one side of the pvc tubing connect an air pump. Fill res with 6-7" of coolant. Procede to blow a massive amount of air into the 2-3" of water.

The only way I could see this working is if the inlet of the res is somewhere in the bubble area, and the outlet is well below the bubble area, thus keeping the lower water area semi-air free. Also the res would have to be much higher then the rest of the water components.

Am I wrong? Or way out in left field?

Hello?

<chirp> <chirp>

I don't think it would be as efficient as running through a rad. It may work on a large scale with a large external res, like how evaporative cooling works (bong). Unless you had access to some sort of very cold gas, I just dont see it working better than a good rad. Try it out though and see!

This description is just bong to me.

Output water is sprayed around, and after dropping, pumped again. The problam that may occur is that it can be noisy and requires constant water level monitoring as nice part of water will evaporate.

I'm still thinking that car heatercore or car radiator would be better solution.

i understand what your saying, and it sounds good but you should try it and let us know how it sounds, and i have no idea waht you could use to cool the water...

Back