• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Very, Very Slow computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CrashOveride

I have this old P2 that I am trying to put an OS on, I can't figure out why it is so slow. its 300mhz and anywhere from 64-98Mb ram (I had 128 on at one time, that is the max it supports)(PC100, it isnt supposed to be PC133 right?). I am trying to put Mandrake on right now and on the loading program into memory it has taken about half an hour and is not even half way done. when I started putting on win98 it took at least a few minutes to start the install (where it checks stuff and prepares to run the GUI part). It also pauses for ~30 sec when you start it up after it counts the RAM and shows the "DEL for setup" thing, before it shows the IDE stuff.

Any ideas?

Nothing has really happend to this besides it sitting in a closet and maybe being touched withough grounding a few times.

Low level, check cooling (those P2 casings fill up with dust a treat) and re-seat bits...

Try clearing the CMOS - could be a setting that is against you :)

Blueacid said:
Low level, check cooling (those P2 casings fill up with dust a treat) and re-seat bits...

Try clearing the CMOS - could be a setting that is against you :)

Cooling is ok, at leas tit doesn't feel too hot, there is no dust on there though. (I just re-assembled it)

I did check teh settings memory timings seem ok, the HDD is in PIO mode 4 (that wouldnt be it woudl it?) the only faster setting is 5 though, and everything else seems ok too. and I havnt changed anything since lasttime it was working, cept the CPU... but it says 300 and thats what the CPU is.

Back