• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Socket 7 vs. Slot 1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SCREEMIN

Can someone help me out please? I was asked a question the
other day and I'm not sure if I answered it correctly.

What is the difference between a Socket 7 and a Slot 1
motherboard?????

I know they originated around the time the PII came out,
and I'm pretty sure the difference has to do with Intel's
Celeron vs. it's Pentium processors.

Can someone please shed a little lite-on ;) my dillema?

Thanks!!,
SCREEMIN

To put it simply very simply, Socket 7 was designed for the "Pentium" processor - i.e.. Pentium Classic, Pentium MMX. AMD, Cyrix, IDT also had Socket-7 CPUs - K5, K6, K6-2, K6-3 and Cyrix MII, IDT Centaur.

After Socket-7 came Socket-8 for thr Pentium Pro. This was a very shortlived product.

With the P2 came Slot-1, a totally different (cartridge) type of packaging. Early Celeron's were also all Slot-1

But then with as the Celeron started gaining popularity, in order to keep costs down, Intel shifted to socket again. Packaging Celeron's in Slot-1 was not cost effective. First Socket 370 proc was likely Celeron 400.

So socket 370 was born. (mind it not Socket-7)

p.s. not stating the pin counts for different packaging

A little more clarification, Socket 7 was developed to deal with the Pentium MMX. It was backwards compatible with socket 5 processors (you could put a s-5 chip in a s-7 board, but not vise versa). As stated above, Slot one was for PII's and shortly there after Celerons. Socket 7 was not designed at all for Celeron or Celeron type chips. In it's day, socket 7 was high end for Intel-like processors.

Thanks for the info!! I've relayed the information!
I truly appriciate it!

Back