• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hard drive fried?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

David101

Registered
hey guys.

my friend gave me a harddrive and said that HIS feiend's comp fried and so he gave him his parts. now, i asuumed that his mobo just fired and hd was ok so i took it (didnt pay nething yet) and having probs setting it up.

myquestion: if a hard drive fries, does it detect it at all or is it like bad sectors or something?

its an ibm deskstar 30.7 gb 7200 rpm hd. in my bios its set for auto detect, and it doesnt detect it @ startup. Am i setting the jumpers wrong? at the back it says master slave etc and 15 and 16 heads. i tried both but it still says "None" when it tried to detect. and i putting in the jumpers wrng and its not working?

also i tried this with my "old" computer (about 2 years, p3 650 old) and thats when it doesnt detect it..i will try my new comp in like 1-2 hours and maybe its just my old mobo that doesnt see it? do i have to set it up manually?

please help, if this works i can finally get my old comp back and running again :)

thanks.

Well, harddrives don't really fry. They just die. Sadly, deskstars are pretty bad harddrives, or so I hear. You might want to try IBM's site and read up on your harddrive. Can you hear the drive spin up when the computer turns on? Ever try just running without any other drives? Without any jumpers? Good luck!

They aren't nicknamed "deathstar" for nothin. I'd get a nice new drive if I were you.

Back