• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what is "system idle process"?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That's normal, system idle is what the CPU does when there is nothing to do. It just loops until something needs it's attention.

lol thats funny,,, i hope this is a joke,,, all that means is when nothing is using the cpu,, it is telling you basically what percentage is not used...

dummy post to attract attention to the other thread imo

anyways yeah it's just a counter. if you wanna kill it you can start folding. folding will use the cycles going to waste and there will be fractions of a second being processed instead.

actually no, i wasn't trying to bring attention to another post. I really did not know the function, and was wondering if it was in relation to my other comp problems. This is why I posted it in MS OS thread rather than anything else.

I do appreciate the answer i recieved though.

In win98 you used to use a program called Rain, CPUidle, or Waterfall to cool your CPU by running halt instructions threw the CPU. The system idle process in the NT kernal OSes repalces those programs.

Your problem is that the folding at home client isn't installed on your computer :p It'll take care of all your idle cycles, and cure diseases at the same time ;)

Back