• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can you solder the L1 bridges? Also I have a chipped core.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Angry

Cause I am think of taking my cpu out and giving it to a friend that is very godd a soldering..?

I thought I heard about the solder being to conductive and messing up the chip.
And I have a chipped core due to my super orb..would it be wise to take off super orb and put my stock hsf on till I get a better one? Cause I even loosened the orbs clamp to put less pressure on the core..But apperntly that hasnt helped.

There are a couple of people here that have successfully soldered their L1 bridges but you have to be pretty good at soldering to do that without hurting the chip.

I would leave the Orb on there till you get a good HSF then change it out. The orb is better than a stock HSF but everytime you take off or put it on you risk chipping the core more.

i talked to some people working with soldering and stuff, and they strongly advised me against it, the thing it if you get it too hot, you wont know it, and you'll damage the structured undelying the soldering area.

just use a defogger repair kit, it will work as well. there are enough risks of damaging a TB or Duron, and there is no point increasing that risk.

I've soldered one Duron and two Tbirds. I have 30 years experience soldering, including 15 years on SMDs. It is not easy coaxing the solder across the cut. Of the 3, one went punk on me under extreme temperature swings like iznogood said. I had an intermitent multiplier problem that I felt certain was the CPU, so I reflower them two more times and that screwed it up. That was using low temp indium solder and a 12W micro pen. Take my advice, use conductive paint.

Hoot

okay I may not get it soldered then..may look for defogger kit...

Also..lol

Orbs really do suck..
The hsf that came with the mobo and chip cools 2-3 degrees cooler..I got all of it at a computer show down in roanoak Va..Im suprised.
Considering is was a free throw in from the guys I bought it from.

Go with the defogger kit. I also have a lot of experiance soldering and I use the defogger kit. It is not worth the risk and this solution is a permenant one. You can get the stuff off with solvent but it doesn't wear off like the pencil trick. I have a TBird 800 that I got when they first came out and it is still doing fine with the defogger kit, about a year now.

My conductive paint on my L1 bridges has just degraded on my system. Ive had a Duron 600 running at 950 for a year now. Yesturday I turned my computer off, and today it wouldn't boot. I would work on some multiplier values, and not on others. I redid the bridges after cleaning the old stuff off and I'm back at 950. Doesn't run stable at 1000. It just shows that maybe conductive pens might need re-doing ocasionally with some people.

Back