• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

computer lock in Windows Xp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rush69

when you are part of the domain your computer locks after like 15min then you have to enter password to get back in. Is there any way to do the same in windows Xp pro while not being part of the domain??

thanks

Try turning off power management settings where the monitor turns off and disable screen saver. However, if your in a domain, you should not leave your computer unlocked and logged in when you are away. Its a big security hole. :)

thast why im trying to keep it locked.... and im not in a domain.. i think i found it if u turn sreen saver on and check on resume go to wellcome screen it kinda does the same thing... so i thkn im fine unless there is better way please post here.

thanks

If you disable fast user switching and enable the 'on resume go to welcome screen' thing, once the screensaver kicks in, it should bring up a login prompt with your login and a spot for your password.

JigPu

sorry about that.. left out a key word or two when reading your post. heh. Just do the opposite of my post, should fix it, usually when the computer suspends or goes to sleep the cvomputer reverts to the user select screen, so everyone is still logged on, just gotta enter password again.

You can lock by this command:

%windir%\system32\rundll32.exe user32.dll, LockWorkStation

Create a shortcut and paste this into the path. Name it as you wish, then finish. You can either leave the shortcut on the desktop or drag/copy to the quick launch section of the taskbar for a one click lock.

Works in 2000 versions as well. I'll be finding out on 2003 versions shortly. Upgrading this weekend.

Back