• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Drivers = broken

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NO LIFE

SO, today I went to upgrade my 9800 to the new cat 3.7s. I did the usually add/remove ATI driver and then deleted all the remaining ATI folders. Just like I always do. I restarted my computer and went to install the new driver. It opened, unpacked itself, got ready to install then I get an error...it goes like this:

Error extracting support files: The directory or file cannot be created

WTF?? So I delete the files it unpacked and try again. Same error. I delete the unpacked file again, delete all my ati related driver files and try again. Same error. I then delete the unpacked files once more and decide the try out the old 3.6s. Same error.

What happened??

Thanks.

Hmm, there may be some junk in the c:\windows\temp directory. You could try cleaning that out. I had a problem installing a winmodem on someone's computer because drivers left over from the previous, dead winmodem in that directory.

Is it ok to just delete eveything in my windows/temp folder? Or is there something I should be looking for?

It should be ok. When I was trying to resolve the modem problem the support guy just said to delete everything, like it was nothing. I just did a quick Yahoo search and the only thing is that you should reboot first. I don't know if this will fix your problem, though. Just something to try...

If the omegas don't work, it might just be time to do a clean reinstall of windows. Need to do that once in a while anyway...

Yay!!!! Omega worked!!

OC forums rox0r my box0rz. Thanks guys!

PS-will there be a performance difference between these omegas and the cat 3.7s?

omegas = optimized for gaming iq, you may get better marks with the cats, but in a game it would be an un-noticable performance loss for what is supposed to be more stable driver with better iq

Back