• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just need some reassurance here...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ptweasel

I finally got my GFD about a week ago, so I cracked open my Athlon classic 750 and found it had a 900 core. Here are the #'s it had:

Case:
AMD-K7750MTR52B A
Core:
K7900CNRBEA

So, over the last week, I've set up Mathlon to set the cache to 1/3 and got it running at 1.0gig. Idling it usually stays about 38C and averages about 44C after about 4 hours of Q3 demo loop. I tried setting the GFD to the highest setting of 1050, but I get no POST at all, just a black screen. I'm assuming it's the L2 cache that's the problem.

I think I could squeeze a few extra Mhz out of it if I upped the FSB, but my TV Tuner card is picky, so I don't really wanna mess w/ it.

I'm pretty new at this, so I figured I'd post some pics to make sure you guys thought everything looks safe.

The only real cooling I have is the hsf that the guy gave me when I bought the proc, and I don't know what it is so I posted a pic below. Other than that I've got nothin', unless you call leaving the sides off the case "cooling".

The only other thing I was worried about are my voltages. I have a turd of a 300W PSU from an Enlight case (ack). Whatever vcore setting I set on the GFD, it runs about 0.07V above the setting.

Anyway, any input you guys (and gals) have would be appreciated

[img="[URL]http://members.home.net/ptweasel1/oc2.jpg[/URL]"]

[img="[URL]http://members.home.net/ptweasel1/oc.gif[/URL]"]

-----------------------------------------
Epox 7kxa
Athlon 750 .18 classid
320MB PC133 CAS3
SBLive Value
Hercules 3D Prophet2 MX 32MB
Win98SE/Win2k dual boot

I installed a couple of 3-1/2" 4000rpm case fans today, one on the left panel blowing in and one on the right panel blowing out.

It's amazing what two fans will do. Now it idles at 33C, and only got to 34C after 4 hours of Quake 3 demo loop. I know it wasn't much of a stress test, but I don't think it's going to heat up much more than that. I wonder if my wife would mind if I kept the a/c at about 40 degrees :)

I just might have to go for 1100, now.

ptweasel, say hi to Mr.Hankey @ 3DFiles BBS from me. :) Tell him to get a GFD too. And give me lots of money.

I recognized your post from 3DFiles... Just saw it yesterday on that other computer, 1.5 meters away.

Definitely go as high as you can. You might also consider blocking the bottom of the heatsink with a piece of plastic/metal/something. That would stop the hot air from the HSF blowing to the vid. card.
Also, having some holes in the bottom of your PSU would help getting rid of the hot air. I wouldn't recommend doing them yourself, tho. If you get a new PSU, EnerMax's have 2 fans, the other sucking air at the bottom.

Hey asmodean(r) :) Nobody ever really answered me over there, so I had to go looking for a more specific forum. I probably would have gotten in to this sooner if I knew about this place.

I probably should try to put something between my vid card and cpu. I had screwed a little processor fan to the heatsink of my vid card so it pointed at the memory and o/c'ed it to 200/200. I ran without a hitch like that for several months. Then I built a computer for my brother using my old K6-2 400 and had to steal the fan back. My video card didn't run for 15 minutes w/o weird glitches after that so I had to clock it back down to normal. So, it's definitely heat sensitive.

Your temps are sweet... ive got a 80mm 42 cfm fan on a thermo engine (duron 800 @ 950)
My temps sit at 52c underload 46c idle (i've heard that the a7v-133 probe reads upto 8c higher)

Back