• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CS 1.6 fps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheNewGuy143

How can I get more frames with steam in cs 1.6 because with 1.5 i had 100 fps always maxed out but now with steam I get 40 fps sometimes 50 fps.:mad: So is there any way to get more fps. I'n running a gf4ti 4400.

Jognt said:
errr, dont play cs?
Pfft. :rolleyes:

You can't see anything above about 23fps, so as long as it's staying over 30, there shouldn't be much of a problem. If you have full screen anti-aliasing on, kick it down a knotch, or off. You could also try dropping your settings a little bit, that will raise your fps.

If you ask me, anything over about 60 fps is a waste anyway. 1) You can't see the updates, and 2) if your monitor is set to 60hz (which is default), the monitor won't be able to update that many times a second, so it's wasting it's time rendering frames that it's just dropping anyways.

CS 1.6 uses alot more complex skins and objects, so it will take longer to render.

Demont said:
That is a myth, pretty much anyone can tell the difference between 23 and say... 50. If you are basing this on the fact that movies are filmed at 24 fps then read this:
http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_can_humans_see.htm
That's a good link, I'll have to bookmark that.

Actually, I was basing it on the fact that human beings see things by motion and/or contrast. Your eyes technically see all the frames, but it just blends it into about 23 frames per second. If it's any action higher than that, you will see it, but you may not register it.

Talking about in-game, you are not going to be walking along and have a single frame out of 100 be completely different from all the rest, they are all going to flow from one frame to the next fairly evenly. Even a flash of light for a split second will last a lot more than one frame in a game.

Outside of a game, yeah, it is possible, like your link says, to recognize a 1/300second flash of light in a completely dark room, but out, in an open brightly-lit world, a dramatic change in lighting for 1/300th of a second doesn't matter. Hell, all the lights in your house produce a burst of light 60 times a second, and your eyes blend that into constant light. Staring at a light bulb, you can't see it releasing bursts of light.

As a neat trick, wave your hand in front of your monitor really quickly, your hand will block some of the bursts of light, and not others, and it will make your hand look like it's in front of a strobe light (which, it technically is). This will create noticeable "black" frames, and shows the update of the monitor. If your really good at it, you will find that you can see things on the monitor through your hand.. ie. your hand will look translucent, that's your brain blending the images. It's better in a dark room, and at different refresh rates (60hz works best :))

The difference that fps make between games and movies is that you are actually playing a game and trying to make moves within the game. So you actually feel a sudden drop in fps which we all know as lag. Personally when a game runs at a constant 40+ fps I feel that it is running fine, but anytime that it suddenly drops below 30 fps I can notice it because my guy/character within the game just doesnt respond as well. You really notice it in racing games and first person shooters. So the myth that a game doesnt need anything more than 26 fps doesnt always hold true. Now maybe in a game where you watch more than play this might work, but not in anything where your character is mostly interactive. As to the post of how to make the game run faster, there used to be a frame limitor built into half life that I remember reading posts where they explained how to set it higher. Maybe the frame limitor was removed in later releases of the game though.

TUK101 said:
The difference that fps make between games and movies is that you are actually playing a game and trying to make moves within the game. So you actually feel a sudden drop in fps which we all know as lag. Personally when a game runs at a constant 40+ fps I feel that it is running fine, but anytime that it suddenly drops below 30 fps I can notice it because my guy/character within the game just doesnt respond as well. You really notice it in racing games and first person shooters. So the myth that a game doesnt need anything more than 26 fps doesnt always hold true.
Lag is different though. If you are lagging enough to drop to 26 frames, then yeah, you will notice the unresponsive controls, and sudden jerky movements. That is caused by performance problems on your own PC. If you have cranked your display settings, and your box is too busy to build more than 26 frames, it's not going to be very responsive in doing anything else, there's just no CPU power left...

If you limit it to 26 frames/s, I highly doubt you would notice any problems. If you did notice anything, it would only be because there is no blur in computer games, every frame is crisp, as opposed to a movie, where movement would be blurred, and blended easier. That can be fixed with full screen anti-aliasing, to reduce sharp edges, and create a slight blur.

Network Lag is even more different than that. You would get your full 100 frame/s cap, but the movement would be jerky. In this case, people would jump along, moving for a second, then stuck for a split second, and then continue on. No matter how many frames you draw, if there's no network data on their position, they're just going to stop, or continue what they were doing before the network lag, depending on the game.

Back