• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

smart fan + CPU equal high temps... airflow problem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

asuh

Registered
I bought the Smart Case Fan II and connected it to my AX-7 HS. To my DISMAY, my temperatures are still in the 50s! I am shocked. In fact, here's what the results are:

AX-7 w/Sunon = 55 degrees C
AX-7 w/Smart Fan = 50 degrees C

So, I think I'm bright enough to figure out what might be the problem. Air flow in the case? I have two exhausts, one from the PSU and one on the back of the case. Any intakes? Not really. I have one fan sitting in the front of the case blowing towards the back but it really can't be picking up any air because there aren't too many holes in the front.

So, with these exhausts that I have, no decrease in temp more than 5C. Is there another problem I'm not seeing?

After taking the side of my case off, the temps dropped almost 10C. I would assume that means the airflow in my case sucks big time.

My case isn't very airflow friendly. The front has a few little openings for air to enter and I have a silent Vantec 80mm fan as my exhaust. I thought about adding a fan to my side as another exhaust but I lake a dremmel.

Any ideas?

You need an intake fan, not an exhaust. You could cut a hole in the side of the case, that is usually the easiest to accomplish.

I have a no name $50 case I bought 2 summers ago.

so you have one fan for exhaust? can you provide a link to your case or something similar to it?

my Internet connection is flaky right now. i just snapped some digital shots and i'll upload them asap.

Not the best pics but maybe you'll get the idea? LMK if you want better pics and I'll put more effort into it. :)

Last edited:
What happened to the sheet metal snips???Most of the sheet metal on these cases cuts easy with a good pair of right handed snips.Start with a hole drilled along the inner edge of your mark Go clockwise with the snips.Gravy job!!

well, i don't have any sheet metal scissors either. i'm a poor student. if i were to spend money, i'd rather buy a dremmel.

well, if i don't have better options, i'll contact you. you think adding a side intake will help decrease the temps in my case or should it be an intake in the front?

If it were me I'd go w/front,if you have room?Try to keep the air moving as straight as possible.What kind of Case, IDE cables,Any wire management ?????????

i don't know case brand name. it was a generic case that i bought at the last minute. if you see in my pics, my inside front is blocked by the computer speaker. i can take it down but even then there isn't much to be pulled because the case doesn't have big holes in the front of the case.

Those were your pics at ebay?? ..But what I could see; You have flat IDE cables to start with.It looks like my old machine, I'm on now P-1 133MHZ w/EDO SIMMs RAM
Looks like a bit of work to be done.:eek:

Last edited:
I'd start with cleaning up the cabling in your case. It looks as though you're blocking any sort of good air the HSF has with those wires. I'd also try that 80mm fan as an intake to see what sort of temps you get.

Went to ebay again.Takes long time to download.But you do need the cable management trick.IDE and wiring cleanup.I have a setup like yours.I put round IDE cables,blow hole w/fan in top:fan midway in case on harddrive,took out the spare 3.5 blank(plastiic thingy below the A drive).put a little filter setup I made.Snipped the guard off the back of PSU_ Right now as I type Exh. temp. is 84.5F. w/digital therm.:D Thats without A/C on. A little fan blowing mostly on me. The average case temp now is 6 degrees above ambient room temp.::D :eek:

Last edited:
Just got thru rewiring Thermaltake Hardcano-9.in new Xaser III Super Tower. Took about 2Hrs.Got rid of all those Molex connecters.Except the PSU to Controller power connecter Molex's.
These cases w/windows make you have to really do a clean wiring job.Will run tubing over the wires later to blend the wiring harness in better.Clear tubing will work in this case.puhn...:D Actually the tubing is Opeque.:cool

Last edited:
Jepp,

Put the cables away, round cables or something like that.
Then take the side cover of the case, cut off a square and put a fan in (80-120 mm). This should be enough to blow cool air in your 'small' ;) case. One fan in the front to blow air in one on the back (and on the top) of the case to blow out

I bought a Thermaltake Xaser Case... perfect Airflow ;)
Also you can try another cooling device for the CPU (I Prefer the Arctic cooling devices)
got my 2400+ @ 2280 MHz; voltage @ 1,7
and got under heavy load max up to 47 degrees

Back