• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best general use graphic card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr. Fri

I'm not a big gamer so I don't need a super-duper gameing card. I want to have good graphics and video capture so in the future I'll be able to transfer home VHS video to DVD. I was thinking of an All-in-Wonder card. Is this the best choice or should I be looking at something else? Also, I want to stay under $150.

if oyu want great IQ, and ok for gaiming, i reccomend matrox. get 9000 pro aiw for cheap alternativ,e but 9600 aiw will really be more future proof.

I'd go with the 9000Pro AIW as well. Plays games fairly well (as long as you keep to a reasonable resolution), has great image quality, and has the video capture you're looking for. You could also go for a TV tuner/capture card that will let you keep your existing video card. Then upgrade your video card later, when you find the card that best suits your needs.

if you absolutely must stay at or below your budget of $150, then that card i linked to is your best option. however, as crystal method pointed out - you could just buy a tv-tuner add-on card, and keep whatever existing video card you have.

overclocker, i'm not quite sure what you mean by the 9000 being crippled and then talking about the 7500? at any rate, the 9000 is fairly comparable to an 8500, and has ATI's superb image quality.

my opinion, take it or leave it, would be that if your current graphics card is of the 9000 level of performance or above, to just buy an add-on card, as crystal method suggested. however if you're also looking to upgrade your video card to be able to play TODAY's games alittle better, then the 9000 AIW would be the best bet.

Overclocker550 said:
I thought the radeon8500 totally owns a 9000 cause the 8500 has double the pipelines

The 9000 PRO is slower but you would be hardpressed to say owned unless you have a broad definition of owned.

You may also want to consider getting a 4200 and a tv tuner card seperately.

I just tried my 9000 pro and got 9500 marks while my 8500 gets me 11600 marks. thats over 2k slower. even the fx5200 gets me 10600!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

not everyone cares about 3dmark, when are you going to realize that? there are other things more important than lame benchmark, like actualy playing games.

and? they run faster on my 9700 than a ti4200? thats not what was being talked about, it was about an 8500 and 9000, i dont know WHERE the 4200 came from? :rolleyes:

Actualy, the 8500aiw has digital video capture and the 9000pro aiw has analog capture and half the pipelines. SO between the two, I'd have to say get the 8500.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm getting the dialog I wanted.

As you can see from my sig I don't have a very good card now. (Got it for 20euros on ebay.) So, I need to get more than just a tuner/capture add on.

I'd like to hear more about the 9000AIW vs the 8500AIW. What are the pros and cons for each?

I've got an 8500DV. It got me 10k on 3DMark on an "unoptimised" system. The only game I really play is Need For Speed 3, 4, and 5. At 1024x768 (max res. on my LCD) with all the options on, the graphics are smooooth. The 8500 also has digital capture (yes I know thats already been said), but this causes it to be "picky" about the signals it picks up. It's great for strong signals but sux for weak signals.

And a little side note, the DV port doesn't work right as ATI had issues with it. The drivers are horrible. The new catalyst drivers screwed up my sytem so bad I had to reinstall XP. However, that may have been system specific to me.

That's my 2 cents

not meaning to sound out of date or anything..but if all you need is a good video card..

I would go with a TNT2 Pro

I have one, it doesn't OC at all really, but its very nice in all regards..you can even play games with it(older types of games)

And this card costs like 20-30 bucks

Back