• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 stock heatsink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bkny1055

you know when you wipe the black crap from the bottom of the stock heat sink you remove the silve sticker that is attached to the heat sink or do you leave it there and just at the artic silver 3

Well, most usually take it off, as it is most likely not as flat as a good lapping could give it. If you're not going to lap it well, then you may want to consider leaving it on, as it is much flatter than a bare stock base.

Lapping will give you better temps, I'm pretty sure of that one.

HTH!

Def. take it off.I used Gooff.to clean it in a couple of swipes.rubbing alc. just made it slide around on the heat sink.You planning on reusing it?Or get a better one?

I had 2 Intel stock HSF's.
One I kept the silver sticker on and the other i took off and lapped with 400,800,1500 grit paper.

Know what? A 1°C difference in temps.
IMHO, not worth the 1 1/2 to take the crap off and lap.

nice thanks for the info what are your temp with the stock H/F ?
i am getting 43 idle and 60 load while running Prime95 is that okay temps

man what you case cooling im runing a stock p4 hs and my nail ran down the black stuff so thers a line were it dosent touch the cpu but im geting some as3 and im runing 41 max load after prime95 for 48 hourse strait im idle at like 28
i have a retarted case set u 3 side 80mm intake and 2 80mm rear exhust this a bad set up and im having good temps the stock hs is the 2nd best other than the slk945 with the heat pipe line or w/e

syberspy9 said:
man what you case cooling im runing a stock p4 hs and my nail ran down the black stuff so thers a line were it dosent touch the cpu but im geting some as3 and im runing 41 max load after prime95 for 48 hourse strait im idle at like 28
i have a retarted case set u 3 side 80mm intake and 2 80mm rear exhust this a bad set up and im having good temps the stock hs is the 2nd best other than the slk945 with the heat pipe line or w/e
LOL. I did the EXACT same thing. I had no idea that stuff just rubbed off :eek: I don't think it has hurt anything though. My system hasn't seen over 38* Celcius.

bkny1055 said:
you know when you wipe the black crap from the bottom of the stock heat sink you remove the silve sticker that is attached to the heat sink or do you leave it there and just at the artic silver 3

Clean it all off and apply fresh layer of thermal grease. Good luck.

KK

Back