• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Retail HSF

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
not sure. the stock heatsink on my 2400+ was pretty decent performance/noise wise.

try increasing your speed bit by bit, and watch your temperatures. if your temperatures start getting out of hand, then you know you need a better heatsink.

if you are feeling brave you could just jump straight to 11x200.

Last edited:
I don't have one yet. Just getting ready to place my order for a major upgrade. Thinking along the lines of 2500+ Barton with a Gigabyte Ga-7N400PRO2. Figured I'd get the retail CPU and see what it'll do before I dish out extra cash for a monster HSF.

from what i've seen the retail heatsinks for the bartons are getting better and better.. they acutally have a copper bottom.. i've seen the latest ones and they dont seem all that shabby.. but still no where near a slk =p

i can go to 2.15ghz on stock cooling with my barty, i used to be able to go higher but the thermal paste is drying up and i havent bought another tube yet :)

It should be good for 2200 as long as your voltage isn't anything crazy. It's the same heatsink that they package with 3200+ chips, so it's capable of cooling that at least decently.

The thermal resistance of the stock HSF is about 0.36 C/W. That is for each watt of power the CPU dissipated as heat, the CPU temperature would rise by 0.36 C above ambient system temperature, since not all the heat can be removed by the heat sink, as we all know about.

The top end copper heat sink w/ high rpm Tornado fan has a thermal resistance of about 0.22-0.23 C/W, i.e. less temperature rise per watt.

This link shows that a HSF of 0.36 C/W loses about 347-433 MHz to a HSF with 0.23 C/W such as SLK-800U.

Comparing some HSF's on CPU overclock frequency on air (page 6)

I did some test on a Tbred B 1700+ DLT3C which can run 2.5+ GHz at 1.9 V using a SLK-800U w/ a high rpm fan. With the stock HSF, I was able to get 2.15 GHz at 1.6 V, confirming the above analysis.

The reason is that for the stock HSF w/ higher thermal resistance, the higher temperature limits higher CPU overclocking frequency above certain break-even point (of frequency and temperature), regardless of voltage applied. Higher temperature slows transistors down.

I had Ajigo HSF (small, thin fins, nickle plated copper base) that came w/ my retail 2500+ which I OCed to 2.33 GHz @ 1.8V. But the load temp was 53°C...

For 2.2 GHz, I didn't need to raise the Vcore and was running around 40°C load (I think...). All this was after lapping, AS3 and CPU duct.

Thanks for the replies. Maybee I won't be such a cheap SOB and just buy a decent Thermalright cooler to start with. I got a 40% OC with this old intel chip and retail sink, but I suppose the newer chips use alot more power than the old.
I know this is the CPU forum but what do you guys think of the Gigabyte boards?

Thanks

ive only had one gigabyte board and that was a KT133A chipset board i loved it but what gigabyte boardu thinking in getting if u havent got one

for amd chips go with the Abit NF7-S if looking for a new motherboard

Well, I have a Gigabyte board...not the one you mentioned. Pretty happy with it overall. Except I have a restart problem when my Vcore is maxed out. And a regret for not getting a Nforce-2 board...

I've been running the Retail HSF with my 2500+ (AQXEA 0330WPMW) at 11x200 for the past 10 days without any problems. Prime95 is stable for 24+ hours @1.60V at that speed on my new NF7-S. I have an SK-7 coming in a few days, so I'll wait to push it any higher.

Back