• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my system underpowered?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

windwind

Registered
I'm using SPI400W FSP400-60GN. See the system config in my sig.

My system is fully stable at 2.5GHz/1.85V. At 2.6GHz/1.95V it's stable until I loop Prime95. After running a hour or so my system will freeze or reboot. It's odd that Prime95 never got the chance to crash or report an error. The cpu temperature never above 45C. I suspect that either my PSU isn't up to the task or the voltage regulators can't handle that amount of power. Speedfan reported around 4.6-4.7V for 5V rail when under load. What's your opinion?

4.6-4.7 is a little low for 5v rail. Try a different power supply in the system. A 400w power supply should work fine with that set up, there might be something wrong with your specific power supply. Try a different power supply first, if that dosen't help at least you know you eliminated one possibility and can go on to trying other things.

Matt

Freezing after an hour definitley is within the realms of a CPU stability problem. Some fail after 6 hours prime95 when the ambient room temperature goes up. I would guess that PSU isn't a factor but the amount of voltage and the temperature of the core is. After an hour I think the water in your system heats up (because either the case or surroundings heat up) and pushes your chip over the edge. Absolute temperature is not important, only that you keep it low enough to keep your chip from going splat.

Also, for continuous operation I would suggest that you keep the Vcore below 1.85v - your chip may die prematurely.

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=2158421#post2158421

Edit: Does the 8RDA+ use 5v or 12v to derive Vcore?

If it's 5v look at this thread...
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58333

Hrm that PSU should be sufficient for that sytem. Have you measured voltages using a multimeter? Its still a possibility that its the PSU but I would measure the actual voltages before I bailed on such a nice unit.

I don't have a multimeter or spare PSU for testing. For this moment I'm looping prime95 at 2550MHz/1.85V, seems running fine. 5V rail keeps at 4.73V

Deathknight, what kind of cooling u got? I'm very envy. :D

windwind said:
I don't have a multimeter...

Well, you are going to have to get one to really know anything about what is going on. They are cheap in this day and age, about any will do the job fine.

8RDA+ uses 5V for Vcore I believe.

Deathknight, do u have any benchmark at that insane speed? I want to get an idea of how fast that could be. My 1800+ couldn't even get inside windows at 2.7GHz.

OK I'll get a multimeter tomorrow. Any intruction on measuring different rails with multimeter?

Back