• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Easiest OC EVER

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Borisw37

My friend gave me this old Compaq pc, it turned out ot be pentium mmx-166mhz. So i searched online and found pentium mmx 200mhz cpus for $3.99 with free shipping :)
I ordered 3 so that i can burn some out, make a keychain etc... The mobo does not self detect the speed of the cpu, and must be set with 2 miniature switches. I install the CPU, put mobo setting to 200mhz. Works fine. Turn off the pc, put the mobo setting to 233mhz, And its working fine.
That was the easiest OC i have ever perfomed, eventhough its only 33mhz.

OC233.jpg

Last edited:
No need for a bunch of monitors. Get yourself a KVM switch if you wanna run more than 1 machine. I can't imagine ever not having a KVM switch after having had one for so long.

If you have a super7 mobo you would be able to push that 200 to nearly 300. I have a 200 running at 300 :) And it runs perfectly stable at that. The old P1's are actually pretty tough chips to kill.

that's a good idea..just makes nice cheap P1s..

but I think that my OC is easier..I took my P2 and just increased the FSB to 116mhz and my P2 400 turns into a P2 464mhz

the problem is that i cant get into bios. I tried pressing pretty much all the keys at boot-up and nothing works.
I use a KVM switch and got a question. The monitor turns off for a sec before turning on with another resolution for the other pc. Is that in any way bad for the monitor.

heh, actually my first OC was pretty much exactly what Borisw37 described, change a couple jumpers, boom! OCed. It was the same chip too it was a P1 200 OCed to 233. I felt so l33t back in the day. Now i still feel like a bit of a newb. It seems like the more you learn, the more you realize how little you know.

I got my start by overclocking a 486 using the same method as above, but I guess none of us have really lived unless we had to pull the solder out to achieve an overclock. Kudos to the old timers.

Back