• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

650 Classic @ 900 on Asus K7V mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

up2Tim

650Mhz slot A classic @900Mhz stable
1.95 core voltage
1/3 cache setting
9 X 100 multiplier
memory speed 133 C2
Alpha P7125 w/ Arcti Silver keeps it at around 45.5C

I started by messing around with the FSB freq. and got it up to 113 after I changed the latency from 2 to 3. When I went up to 115 it wouldn't boot--in fact, even after I shut down and restarted it wouldn't boot. So I had to set the jumpers to defaut settings to boot and get into the bios where I could load default and reset jumpers so I could use the soft menu again.

After tinkering with it I, the highest I could get was 8.5 X 105 = 893.

Then I decided to set the FSB back to 100 and memory speed to 133 C2 and do it all with the multiplier, which allowed me to hit 900Mhz.

I haven't tried any higher yet. I'll see how stable it is and then bump it up a little and see what the limit is:)

Asus K7V mobo
650 classic @ 900
Alpha P7125
Asus V6800 Deluxe
256 Corsair PC150
Enermax 350
2 CoolPC cooler
sony burner
DVD
and some more stuff

Great work Tim,

seems like you haven't reached the top yet. How about the temps now? Are you going to do some more with cooling maybe, or enough for now. Gee, that CPU really has some hidden performance available! Have a great time OC'ing!

Oh, and did you already tried the extra case cooling you mentioned in one of your posts before? What are the opencase temps?

Greetings, Rob

looks like ya got a real nice overclock with that 650, quite a bit a difference form the voltage setting i had to use to get my 750 @ 1050MHz. i had to only use 1.70 volts. i did manage to get my system to post at 1070mhz
107 fsb. all i probubly needed was a little more voltage maybe , i was happy with what i got so i didn't go for more

Bender (Jun 02, 2001 05:08 p.m.):
Very nice overclock. Try for 950-1000, your cash should be able to handle it.

I see you did the Quadro trick on your video card.

I've been considering doing it to my Asus V6800 Deluxe but I want to do it with a switch so I can go back and forth (due to the video in and TV out stuff that I still want to use)

I think I have the idea how to do it but some pics would be helpfull.

you don't know where there are any pics of this do you?

Hay i have Asus 7700 Geforce 2 GTS and i wanna know how to turn it into quadro and i wanna also know whats the different if i turn it into a quadro faster or what???

Murphy (Jun 02, 2001 04:45 p.m.):
Great work Tim,

seems like you haven't reached the top yet. How about the temps now? Are you going to do some more with cooling maybe, or enough for now. Gee, that CPU really has some hidden performance available! Have a great time OC'ing!

Oh, and did you already tried the extra case cooling you mentioned in one of your posts before? What are the opencase temps?

Greetings, Rob

Ya Rob, I got one of those 2CoolPC Plus rigs set up to pull air in from outside the case and it blows right on the video card and the CPU. That, plus I activated the CPU cooler in Smart Doctor and got the temps down to 40C so I'm about ready to start bumping it up again:)

this stuff is addicting isn't it?

Thanks again for that cache tip--the cache would have stopped me for sure (in fact it did) but your tip preped me.

Mojo (Jun 02, 2001 08:31 p.m.):
Hay i have Asus 7700 Geforce 2 GTS and i wanna know how to turn it into quadro and i wanna also know whats the different if i turn it into a quadro faster or what???

hey Mojo,

Check out this site http://www.geocities.com/tnaw_xtennis/

It has quite a bit of info and links to what i think you're looking for ( but no pics) I like pics--much easier to understand

You can also check this site http://www.guru3d.com/
go to "Article and editorials" then look for "Modifying you GeForce/GeForce2 to Quadro"

Ok but whats the different???
will i get better FPS in games or what?

Mojo (Jun 02, 2001 08:51 p.m.):
Ok but whats the different???
will i get better FPS in games or what?

I guess you don't really see a big difference in games but it adds quite a bit of stuff.

I'm not really that sure cause I haven't done the hack yet. The articles have quite a bit of info. i added another link ( http://www.guru3d.com/) you can check out go to "Articles and Editorials" then go to "Modifying your GeForce/ GeForce2 to Quadro"

it looks like 900 is the limit without bumping the core volts up above 1.95.

i got the temp down to 40-42C and I'm gonna run it and see how hot it gets and think about increasing the core V if temps hold low.

do you all think it will survive 2.05 core V very long?

hmm, 2.05 seems too high for me. I would keep it at 1.95 for now. Maybe with increased cooling/lower temps, somewhere down 30°C you could try it. But it seems like your maxed out this setup.

Hey, nice info on the quadro hack! Never heard of it, I have a Asus V6600, geforce SDR. Maybe I will try it, just wait for some more experience from others, i.e. is it worth it?

Murphy (Jun 03, 2001 01:35 a.m.):
hmm, 2.05 seems too high for me. I would keep it at 1.95 for now. Maybe with increased cooling/lower temps, somewhere down 30°C you could try it. But it seems like your maxed out this setup.

Hey, nice info on the quadro hack! Never heard of it, I have a Asus V6600, geforce SDR. Maybe I will try it, just wait for some more experience from others, i.e. is it worth it?

ya, I backed it back down to 850 cause I can run it with 1.85 core V and cache at 2/5. I think my performance is a little better and the temps are cooler.

I been practicing my soldering skills cause those SMD resistors on the video card are soooo small.
I got the switch and everything I need to do it with (magnifying glass, 15 watt iron) Just need a quiet day and steady hands and a little more nerve--if ya know what I mean. I been thinking about upgrading to a 7700 anyway but it's the only card I have for this board at the moment.

I know--no guts, no glory huh :)

up2Tim (Jun 03, 2001 10:56 p.m.):
Murphy (Jun 03, 2001 01:35 a.m.):

ya, I backed it back down to 850 cause I can run it with 1.85 core V and cache at 2/5. I think my performance is a little better and the temps are cooler.

I been practicing my soldering skills cause those SMD resistors on the video card are soooo small.
I got the switch and everything I need to do it with (magnifying glass, 15 watt iron) Just need a quiet day and steady hands and a little more nerve--if ya know what I mean. I been thinking about upgrading to a 7700 anyway but it's the only card I have for this board at the moment.

I know--no guts, no glory huh :)

As soon as I've got some spare time, I go for it. Need to get a good solder iron, but that won't be much of a problem. What cooling do you have on your GPU, stock? I've been thinking on blue orbs, bad thing is that they are VERY expensive over here in the Netherlands: $20 , and that's no joke. I see internet offers of $7 , so I stay away until I have a good deal available.

Let me know when you've hacked your card, curious about performance and effect. Good luck soldering!

Greetings,
Rob

p.s. I was made senior member today ;D

Well i don't know yet cause i gave it to the shop and they are sending it to their dealer but he said the cpu wont get fixed for sure and don't know about mobo :(

Pretty sweet o/c...
My 600 seems to hit a bit of a wall at 900MHz too...
900MHz at 1.8V but it needs around 2.0V to be stable around 950MHz.... I also have to bump my L2 back to 1/3...

As soon as I've got some spare time, I go for it. Need to get a good solder iron, but that won't be much of a problem. What cooling do you have on your GPU, stock? I've been thinking on blue orbs, bad thing is that they are VERY expensive over here in the Netherlands: $20 , and that's no joke. I see internet offers of $7 , so I stay away until I have a good deal available.

Let me know when you've hacked your card, curious about performance and effect. Good luck soldering!

Greetings,
Rob

p.s. I was made senior member today

Congrats man, I saw the blue stars up there.

I got one of those cheap blue orbs and replaced the one that came with the card. It dropped the temps about 25F with Arctic Silver.

I had to modify it a little (of course haha) because it didn't come with a mounting bracket. I took the bracket off my old one and placed it between the fan and heat sink on orb. I had to bust a couple fins out on each side for the bracket to stick out. The instruction with the orb recommended using thermal adhesive and I didn't like the sound of that (to permenant and hard to get off).

Sounds like you got a new project to take your mind off that CPU for a little while.

Have you located the resistor(s) that have to be moved yet? Small aren't they?

I got some 1% 10K resistor that I think will work and might be a little easier to work with. I'll let you know.

Work has been crazy lately and hard to find the time and patience. You might get there first--if so let me know.

Dr_Kildare (Jun 04, 2001 09:31 p.m.):
Pretty sweet o/c...
My 600 seems to hit a bit of a wall at 900MHz too...
900MHz at 1.8V but it needs around 2.0V to be stable around 950MHz.... I also have to bump my L2 back to 1/3...

Thanks Doc,
It sound like yours is doing a little better.

I wounder why mine needs 1.95 and 1/3 cache to do 900?

What kind of board do you have? And bios?

Back