• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3.0C slower O/Ced than non O/Ced

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shiltz

I finaly finished up my new case and water cooling setup over the weekend and moved my computer into it, now i'm not an expert on overclocking, this will only be my 2nd computer i've O/Ced, first being my dual athlon system, anyways I had it running at 220FSB (M/B read it as 3.31 / 3.32, it changed between those 2 when I rebooted), it booted fine and I ran thru 3d marks 2001, however going from 3.0GHz to 3.3GHz my score actualy droped by about 1000 points, why would my performance be droping when the CPU is clocked higher?

Are you letting the motherboard "decide", or have you specifically set the DDR ratio?

Meaning, is your ram currently running DDR440 at 1:1, or is it actually running something like DDR352 at 5:4 ratio... Or hell even DDR293 at 3:2 ratio?

I had it on auto at first, then specified 400, was still the same, it doesn't actualy give me divider ratio options, for the setting for ram the options are listed as 266, 320, or 400.

With those Asus mobos... 266=3:2, 320=5:4, and 400=1:1 ratio.

I know you have water cooling, but maybe recheck your load CPU temps since this could potentially be a thermal throttling issue.

acording to the MB sensor it sits around 32C on load so definatly not thermal throttling.

Thermal throttling on a P-4 is automatically done when the temp exceeds about 65 degrees or so. What it does is starts slowing the CPU clock speed down in increments to prevent damage from overheating. If your CPU load temp is 32 degrees, then thermal throttling should not be an issue

Pixel said:
hey should i turn of throttling? just a thought haha!

That's not possible- it's a feature embedded in the CPU to protect it from overheating. It's not software or BIOS related and cannot be switched on or off.

As for the OP's problem: I agree that it could be a memory *timing* issue. At default the speed, the ram may register at quick timings (for example 2-2-2-6), but when the clockspeed is increased, it relaxes these in order to keep up. Either force these latencies to proper values by setting them manually, or clock back if the original situation is the only one stable and fast.

the memory timing isn't auto, I set them to what the ram was speced at which is 2-3-3-6, it was the same for O/Ced and not O/Ced.

got it figured out, was the memory timing, changed it from 2-3-3-6 to 2-3-3-7, not losing the running worse now.

hit the wall O/Cing on stock voltage, what is safe to go to in pentiums? I remember reading about SDS on P4's when upping the voltage on them so what to find out what is safe so I don't kill it.

Back