• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BF:1942 dedicated server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pik4chu

Senior Yellow Forum Rat
Well just wondering something, we playd this recently at a LAN and it was alot of fun, except that no one had a fast enough vcomputer to run the server and play on it (fps shot to hell) so Im looking to make a dedicated server for that kinda stuff, BF1942 and CS1.6 mainly. What would be the hardware needed for a decent server to host a ~8-10 player game? (I had no problems running server on this machine but everyone else did, not sure why but either way.).

I got a folding rig I can use.. XP 1900, 256MB DDR, 30gig HDD and a ATI 7500 (64MB) would this be plenty for a server? Thanks.

(Note: Omaha Beach with 3-1 bot count on the allies pwns :p )

If you want to run a BattleField1942 server the 1900+ is ok but you need to add more ram. Bring it up to at least 512mb, also you'll need a 40k upload per person. so to do a 10 man server your upload needs to be 400k.

I did mention it was on a LAN right? :) dont play online. too many ***** so its all local hehe. That way when you get killed by a teammate you can throw something at them ;)

Honestly I'd get as much ram as you can or as much as the motherboard supports. BF 1942 is such a resource hog the extra ram will help out a bunch, especially if you guys ever have a few more people join the lan.

Yeah honestly, I've incrementally been upgrading my memory since I bought BF1942 a year ago.

256 MB DDR2700 was horrid!
512 was a bit better.
768 was the most noticeable performance increase.
1024 is just stroking my ego :)

As rdytorave and AC Slater said RAM is the best upgrade, My server runs with 1.5Ghz of ram and Everyone is very happy :D

Back