• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

protection and seeking out hacker attack?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

leathersmt

I am having a problem with someone that keeps getting into my computer, even with norton security firewalls, and stuff. Is there anything that will help me , A. find the fiels that the person put in my computer. B. protect me from the persons attacks? Please help, I am so tired of redoing my netscape, becaue every time they do, they erase all my emails, and I have done a search and cannot locate the files.

maybe I am being impatient, but with all the experts here on computers, I am frustrated with all the hack attacks I ahve been getting, I am impatient for help, would someone, if you guys cant help me protect our computer, send me in a direction, where I can find help?
I have lost our emials 8 times in the last 6 months, and all our bookmarks about the same, I am frustrated please help

Is this an outside or inside hack? If it's somebody from the outside, I'd set your firewall to maximum security for a little while and it should stop him. You could even change firewalls if you really think it's a problem.

If it's an inside hack, then you'll want to find out how he's getting in. Make sure your guest account is disabled, the Administrator account has a password ('Administrator' on XP boxes has no password when you install the OS), and see if you can get other users to change their passwords as well.

Other than those, you'd need the help from the people over in Internet, Networking, and Security. They're pretty good at locking boxes down :)
JigPu

You sure it isn't a virus? If it is doing the same thing over and over again that might be the problem.

well, I thought it could be, but I have run norton AV and it is the newest, so it should catch anything.....and the wierd thing is, that I had a new hardrive and a new instalation of the Netscape 7.1....but I still ahve the same contacts, etc, like online foirums etc... could sopmeone be trojaning me through that avenue?
I am not clicking on anything that I get in any emails....and norton has erased some as they got here too. :eek: :eek:

can clicking on an email that has a phpp link, allow that to be code that sends in a trojan to your computer???

Last edited:
clash said:
Really want to stop people abusing your computer? Try this...

www.linux.org

completely changing to an unfamiliar operating system does not magically solve all your security problems. I can make a Win2k machine tighter than any avg linux user could make thier box.
leathrsmt, I would try checking the network and security section. they (we) know a lot about this stuff there and those users dont always look in here for security stuff ;)

Yeah, but the % of windows machines to linux machines is a huge difference, and also probably the main factor why attacks on linux boxes are much less common. Also, the differences between each linux distro makes it very hard for someone to write a virus/trojon/malware for wide spread effect. Plus, a properly configured linux box is far more secure against attacks, and the damage is certainly not as wide spread to the system as it is when a windows machine gets done.

Sorry, I just could not resist!!

Greg

completely changing to an unfamiliar operating system does not magically solve all your security problems. I can make a Win2k machine tighter than any avg linux user could make thier box.

I'll give you my address, you give me yours. Lets see who can overtake who.....

I run a web server, email server, game server,Open telnet, and open FTP. I check my logs on a daily basis. I am constatly getting hammered by the kiddies that think they can get root. Do i worry? No.....

Why? Because linux boxes are not full of the exploits in the OS that you hold so dear.....Did you enjoy the W32.blast worm?

You, my friend, are simply misinformed...

Back