• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Well be able to flash are card to 9800XT?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vexx

Are we going to be able to flash are Radeon 9800 NP and PRO to XTs.. if they can run at its clock speed?

It's prolly not out of the question. It might be kinda rough with stock cooling.

The 9800 pro clocks are 380/340
The 9800 xt clocks (I've read) are 412/730

It doesn't look like it would be too hard to get those speeds. The oc on the core clock speed would be just under a 10% increase in clock speed. OC'ing any card, I've heard you can safely bet on getting an extra 10% boost in core clock.

The memory I'm not sure of. I don't know if that 730 figure has been multiplied out as in, 365 ddr (x2) memory clock = 730, or if the clock speed is really 730 ddr.

I would expect it to be 365. I don't think they have memory as fast as 730 yet.

wouldn't make sense as the XT is only supposed to be an incremental improvement on the Pro.

You may be able to flash it to an XT, but it should either do nothing for you, or simply increase the latencies to allow the faster speeds and the expense of performance at those speeds. Its not really worth it either way.

Just be careful, I remember when people tried to flash the BIOS from a 9700pro to a 9800pro they screw their cards up. The card had to be flashed back to the original BIOS. The reason was that the cards architectures were different. If in fact the architecture of the card is the same I say you shouldn’t have any problems.

Back