• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nb cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

creepy

Im running a soyo kt333 dragon ultra plat. with stock heatsink and a 40mm 5k rpm fan on the NB and im getting temps of around 30ºC-32ºC. Im not too familiar with NB temps so I was wondering if these were decent and which hsf you guys would reccomend getting. I was leaning towards a crystal orb,the new iceberg,or just getting a waterblock.

It all depends upon what is on there now. I never really needed to improve the cooling of my nb, but it is becoming more prevelant now in the newer nforce2 mobo's where you can change your nb voltage (sometimes helps to o/c more). I don't think you can do that with your board, so your cooling now is probably fine, but if you still insist on doing it the crystal orb is a fine choice. I have one on my radeon 8500, which gets hotter than any nb I would think and it cools it fine. Hope that helps!

Matt

EDIT:
archilochus said:
Have you read the Heatsink review??(reviews/heatsink roundup..
Home page Overclockers.com.

Conventional heatsinks are not really made to cool nb's. They will not fit, they are too big in most cases and are a bit overkill. But it was a good thought, that heatsink guide is great!! Check that out if you are looking to cool your proc, too.

I think I will just go with the crystal orb....Seems to work great with my videocard as well so I might as well get one for the nb.

archilochus said:
I'm a newbie here.What is an nb??????I prozome it has to do with a video card.Thanks AOT.

O, nb = northbridge. Its the main chipset on the motherboard. It deals with the communication of the cpu and the ram, stuff like that. The video card thing you are referring to is the gpu = graphics processing unit. Glad that you suggested the heatsink review thought, most newbies would not even begin to tackle this type of question. I admire that. Glad I could answer your question. Its always nice helping out newbies, I was one at one point, heh. Good luck on your quest for computer knowledge. Feel free to ask me anything you like.

Matt

Kool;I know about North Bridge MCH Intel 865PE. Never seen the abbrv.though.I've done tons of research at the Intel site since my mobo has the 865PE chipset.South bridge I/O Controller Hub.My mobo came w/active HSF...Mobo is FIC P4-865PE MAX.When I get it back from RMA ,I guess I'll find out.I've been researching this project since MAY/03.Put it all together last Thurs.Found I had BUM Mobo.Help is always welcome.:D Thanks

Last edited:
Does anyone know if its possible to mount a 40mm fan on the zalman chipset cooler?

Hrmm... Now im tryin to decide between a crystal orb,vantec,or zalman w/ 40mm. If there was a way to get a 40-60mm "adapter/converter" i think id go with the zalman.

Back