• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does Virtual Crime need Real Justice?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So...if you steal the warlocks forbidden staff of black inferno..

You can go to jail in real life.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

Convict A: " why'd they stick you in the bighouse? "
Convict B: " Huh? Why'd they stick YOU in here? "
Convict A: " Stole a car and ran over 4 cops, killing 3 of them. Now, Why are YOU here? "
Convict B: " I..uh... Stole a Lvl.4 mages fireball magic spell. "
Convict A: " *blank stare*

I've heard about an online game in S. Korea that people are making a living out of. A well built character can go as high as $60,000!!!. Some items regularly trade for $100-$5,000 each.

Some kids killed themselves, literally, after they found an uber item then lose it for some reason. Stupid? yes, but it's happening.

-Bobby

Not being racist, and having lot of South Korean friends myself, I have come to the conclusion, which is solely my own opinion, that most Koreans are pretty high strung, and many of the males have violent tendencies.
Schools are very competitive and stress comes from many other sources. Its a part of their society as a whole. You just need a little to push a person that extra step to commit suicide or go insane.

The problem with vigilante justice in games is that that gives the thief or whatever the upper hand. It's quite obvious that you violently attacked him and stole all his stuff....but how can you prove that he stole something really valuable of yours? Thus, you have to leave it in the hands of the authorities (be it game makers or police) to produce justice.....which is not always the best option. Of course, it is much better than being persuceted yourself....

As far as mob rule goes....that's just sad. Seems to me that the makers of these games need to pay more attention to a justice system.....not nescessarily staff, but voulenteer police. This has worked in many text-based ORPGs that I know of. They're players, for the most part, but when needed they can act as representatives of the game makers...not to dole out punishment, but to basically play detective. Find out what happened, get names, time, evidence, and make a recomendation to the game administrators.

MUDs and the like have a completely different culture associated with them though. Even the most immature player I met in a MUD has been much more patient than pretty much any player I've met in a graphical MMO. You'd think that with text-based RPGs being free, and MMOs being pay, the maturity would be different. I guess people expect instant gratification for their $13.

eh, I suppose you're right. I'm not big on the graphical MMORPGs (I don't play MUDs anymore either)....it's mainly the cost that puts me aside. But still, now the thought of a bunch of kiddies looting me really makes me stay away, heh.

edit:

i think my point still stands, however. MMORPGs could use some sort of voulenteer players who watch over the game.....selected, of course. most likely by observation by admins in stealth....not open calls to people....that would just attract a bunch of liars and such, hehe.

Last edited:
I really don't see whats wrong with the stealing of items or what not.

If the makers didn't want it, they wouldn't have made it a feature in the game.

Sure, it ticks you off when you get something stolen. But you can go steal something of equal or greater value from someone else. and thus the food chain is born. Speaketh he who bringeth thine devine inlightenment.

Thankye. :D

Beast Of Blight said:

Sure, it ticks you off when you get something stolen. But you can go steal something of equal or greater value from someone else. and thus the food chain is born. Speaketh he who bringeth thine devine inlightenment.

HEAR HEAR!

Beast Of Blight said:

Agree completely. I think the main problem is actually selling virtual items on Ebay for really $$, since then it sort of takes away from actually playing for fun. If thievery and looting are part of the game as features, then the law shouldn't come into question of all. If a thief or looter took your best item, then find a way to get another one, plain and simple.
Of course, this is a bit hypocritical of me considering that I sold all my Ultima Online items for $600 US.... :D

Back