• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED (GERRY136) so where do i go from here?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
J

JOEY136

thanx to everyone who helped get me to this point (850mhz)!!!
now my temps are kinda high 44c idle so can i now flash my bios to maybe get access to my fsb cause there is nothing i can adjust really in my bios. other tan cooling im pretty sure ill never get 900.but i ordered a waterblock and i have a little giant pump.
also im begining to like the idea of the pelt and water cooling combo. from my setup can u tell me what size pelt will work most efficiently? new power supply on the way
thanx all

JOEY136 (Jun 03, 2001 07:45 a.m.):
thanx to everyone who helped get me to this point (850mhz)!!!
now my temps are kinda high 44c idle so can i now flash my bios to maybe get access to my fsb cause there is nothing i can adjust really in my bios. other tan cooling im pretty sure ill never get 900.but i ordered a waterblock and i have a little giant pump.
also im begining to like the idea of the pelt and water cooling combo. from my setup can u tell me what size pelt will work most efficiently? new power supply on the way
thanx all

My congrats on your fine OC!

I know, it's addictive, so after a while aircooled, I made the jump to watercooling: NO REGRETS! Watercooling rulez! It even got me 50MHz extra. I was at 750 with 1.65V and temps pretty hot, near 50. Watercooling (35°C) got me 800 at 1.8v. I have a 0.25um core, they bark out a lot of heat, what kind do you have? 0.18 or 0.25?

If you are planning on pelts, you have to know with how many watts you are dealing to plan the right size of pelt. Would you please tell us your new OC specs? voltage, l2 cache multiplyer, FSB and multiplyer are quite straight forward in your case (the stock mobo).

A 850MHz 0.25core at 1.8V barks out 70.0 Watts, a 0.18um core only 55,6 watts. To save you the illusion, a 85Watt pelt will not be able to handle both situations :( You need at least twice the wattage, up to three would be nice. Maybe a nice tip, many people use 2 pelts side by side between two heatplates, it matches the size of your PCB and saves you the hassle of heavy duty pelts (156watts and such).

Hope you have much fun with your OC'ed setup, great work on that! And remember we like to hear from your newest plans. Succes!

Darn, forget to tell you the best pelt size. I think the 70watts can be handles by 2x72Watt pelt, or if you feel like to, 2x85W. The 55,6 could be beat with a 116Watts. Depends on what rates you can get the pelts.

On the overclockers homepage, at the beginnersguide there are some excelent topics about peltierizing your CPU.

Here's a link to LEUFKENs, a source for pelts, just to get into the spirit :)

Murphy

ok im not sure wht other specs i need to give u but my L2 cache is at 1/3. ive included this pic of cpu id. i have bumped down the speed to 800 although its stable at 850 but a little warm. (til my waterblock comes).
is there any way i can find out about .18.25 micron without removing my hsf? there are some #s on thepcb on a white sticker, would that help?
thanx much Murphy!

Here's a little proggie that I think Murphy was using, it's called Radiate and it tells you how much energy your core is pumping out:

GERRY136 (Jun 04, 2001 10:19 a.m.):
ok im not sure wht other specs i need to give u but my L2 cache is at 1/3. ive included this pic of cpu id. i have bumped down the speed to 800 although its stable at 850 but a little warm. (til my waterblock comes).
is there any way i can find out about .18.25 micron without removing my hsf? there are some #s on thepcb on a white sticker, would that help?
thanx much Murphy!

Happy to tell you that's an easy one! Look at the cover of the CPU. When you look on top of it when it's on the mobo, you can see the white letters 'AMD athlon processor' if I remember well. I've got my cover laying before me right now, but the 'AMD ath...' has been sawed out because of an early GFD hole when I had the cover still on.

On the right of these letters is a serial nr. which looks much like this: AMD-K7500MTR51B C
followed by another number, like: 219943217144

First one is AMD (producer), K7 model, 500MHz rated. Watch the very last letter, the C in this case. C=0,25um core, A=0.18um core. That's it!
Some info on the second nr. 21 (fab. nr) 99(year of production) 43 (week), and some more numbers.

Good luck and wish for an A cpu!

p.s. your wcpuid looks fine. Watercooling should be able to keep you going at 850.

cool thanx guys!
unfortunately i threw the plastic cover away!
but ill check the chip when my block gets here

Pretty sexy L2 cache there murphy :)

I was thinking of water-cooling mine... Not too sure about it though...
Here' my little picture with the phantom L2 cache speed... :p

Back