• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A new folder...and some questions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mentaL704

Hi Guys, I have finally started to fold. After reading, I decided it was for a great cause. I started last night, and already have 6.4Ghz Folding for Team 32 24/7. All made from parts not doing anything but collecting dust.

I just dont understand the -flags? Maybe someone could help a newbie out. There are flags that I have seen that could make you fold faster. I just dont understand what a flag is.

Fold On!

Welcome To The Team :)

The flags specify how the client runs, and what extra stuff to add to.

Just for reference i'll write them here and explain them..

Gah, can't find the total list but here are a few I remember off-hand:

-advmethods. This requests from the Stanford servers work units that use any new extensions, like SSE, 3DNow, etc.. Short for "Advanced Methods"

-forceasm. This forces any core to use an advanced extension. Short for "Forced Assembly".

-verbosity x. This adjusts the detail of the log file. "-verbosity 9" is the highest level. Default value is 3.

-config. Allows users to change their configuration information. This includes user & team names (reflected in the stats), etc..

-delete x. Delete item #x from work queue. This option should only be used if there is a serious error with the current unit

-license. Displays the end-user license agreement

-queueinfo. Get information on queued work units.

-send x. Send result #x back to server. Exits after trying to send unit (successfully or unsuccessfully). Use "-send all" to send all results outstanding. If unit x is not a completed work unit then the client exits without doing anything.

-local. Use configuration files from local directory. This option has no meaning on Linux, but is vital on Windows and Macintosh for running multiple clients on a machine.

-help. Print out the command line flags available and then exit.

-freeBSD. Linux only. For use by those wishing to use the Linux client on a machine running FreeBSD.

-pause. Windows only. Pause after finishing and trying to send current unit. Allows a user to shut down after finishing a unit, by pressing Ctrl-C, without then getting new work to process.

-service. Windows NT-kernel systems only. Run in service mode (for programs such as firedaemon). This prevents the client from exiting when it detects the current user is logging out.

Last edited:
The - flags are command line parameters (or in the case of the service install you actually put these parms in the registry).

In the shortcut that launches your folding client you put in -forceasm if you want to use SSE instructions for instance.

Oh and Welcome to the team! :D

So if I wanted to fold slighty faster what would I type?? And where do I get EMIII?:p

mentaL704 said:
So if I wanted to fold slighty faster what would I type??

This is what I use, it gets me Gromac (SSE-Enabled) proteins (more points and they are fast too).

without the square brackets but with the speech marks.

["C:\Program Files\Folding@Home\winFAH.exe" -advmethods -forceasm -verbosity 9]

Ok thanks guys! Next pay check Ill be starting my farm. I know I move fast :p By mid of next week should have 10 more ghz to add to the team!! Thanks to that Cheap Farm Parts thread.

mentaL704 said:
By mid of next week should have 10 more ghz to add to the team!!

Holy crap! :eek:

That's exceptional work for someone who just became a folder.. Well done :)

mentaL704 said:
Ok thanks guys! Next pay check Ill be starting my farm. I know I move fast :p By mid of next week should have 10 more ghz to add to the team!! Thanks to that Cheap Farm Parts thread.

AWESOME!!!

Welcome to the Fold! 10GHz is certainly a big first step. Can't wait to the second act:cool:

gungeek said:
Welcome to the Fold! 10GHz is certainly a big first step. Can't wait to the second act:cool:

lol..... Lets just say if your going to do it, might as well do it right. I want a prize:p

mentaL704 said:
And so the Addiction begins.......
Welcome to the Fold!

Back