• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wierd Catalyst 3.7/DirectX Problem...Argghhh

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KidJethro

I updated the drivers for my vid card to the Catalyst 3.7 drivers, and now when I go to start any Dirct3D game, UT2K3 and UT, I get an error that tells me to "enable Direct3D acceleration". I run dxdiag and under "Display" it tells me- "Direct3D functionality not available. You should verify that the driver is a final version from the hardware manufacturer". Wtf? I've tried rolling back to the two older Catalyst drivers, and no effect. I tried reinstalling Directx 9.0b, and nothing. Anyone got any ideas what the hell is goin on here?

Dunno, but I'm pretty sure it's not the Cat 3.7's by themselves. Cruise into the advanced tabs in your display settings (if you don't have the updated ATI control panel for the Cat 3.7's, that might be the issue) and look for the SmartGart tab. Make sure the AGP slider is at the proper location and that your AGP texturing and whatnot is enabled.

I'm guessing that might be your problem...

Well, I fixed it...but in an odd way. Had an older version of the drivers installed, Did the "roll back" thing, which rolled back to the newest Cats, and now all is well. Wierd.

Thanks for the reply Albuquerque. :)

Had a bunch of wierd issues getting this driver installed. My fault on all of them though. When I installed the new drivers the first time, I just installed them over the old drivers. That worked when I had a Nvidia card with the detenator drivers. Anyways, so like I said above, I rolled them back, and that fixed the D3D thing, but I was missing the "Smart Gart" tab in the display properties. Also my mouse scrolling was acting wierd. So I uninstalled the drivers, rebooted and installed the new ones fresh. Everything is good now, D3D problem fixed, "Smart Gart" tab is back, and mouse problem fixed.

As for how I like the drivers, I haven't had a chance to really test them out yet. Gonna fire up some UT and UT2K3 here shortly...I'll get back with an update when I can.

Anyone else here play UT or UT2K3?

I play both of the UT's, although I'm not good enough to battle online ;) (or at least, I don't think so) UT2K3 seems to run better on the 3.7's versus the older 3.4's I was using from my 9500np card. Quite a bit better actually, at least when doing AA and AF (which I almost can't live without anymore hehe)

Back