• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick question about P3 cooling and Socket 370

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gregory_WE

Along with a new case and PSU, I'm going to get a new HSF for my P3 800. It's socket 370 of course, but does that mean it's FC-PGA? On the actual socket all it says is PGA-370. I'm looking at a HSF that's for FC-PGA 370. I'm assuming they're the same, but I want to make sure. Sorry I can't give the model on the mobo since I honestly have no clue. It has the Apollo Pro 133A chipset (I think) but that's all I can find out from HP.

All that's cooling the CPU now is a standard heatsink (bunch of fins extending vertically from the CPU), and there's a case fan that is extended right above the CPU. I'd like to get a new HSF cause the case I'd be getting wouldn't have a case fan blowing right ontop of the CPU, so I should probably get a new HSF just to be safe.

Yes, socket 370 P3-800 was an FC-PGA configuration. Pure socket 370 HSF units may be hard to find, but most Socket A HSF units will work just as well. My own personal favorite for Socket 370 cooling is an Alpha PAL 6035 with a moderate speed 60mm fan, something in the mid-20's for cfm, quiet and effective, plus outstanding build quality.

Well last night I went ahead and got it since I did a little bit more searching around and I was pretty sure that my chip would be FC-PGA, here's what I got:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?description=35-150-010

I don't need anything real good so just picked that out. It has pretty good CFM and the noise rating isn't too bad either. Has good reviews too. This isn't for my main computer so not that big of a deal, I basically just needed something cheap that worked :)

Back