• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade? Trying to rationalize...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MRip

I just ordered an NF7-S from Newegg in search of a higher FSB. I already have good ram and a cpu that will OC up to about 2500mhz. I could put down more $ for a chip that would OC higher, but if I understand AMD productio correctly, all XP chips are virtually the same, the only difference being which bridges are connected and which are left open. So it wouldn't make any sense to buy any new XP. ever. Is it just me, or will the next worthwhile cpu upgrade be to a 64? That said, there is no way I can afford a 64 settup right now so I'm going to have to wait, but I don't want to. Then I tell myself that there is no point anyway because I can already run pretty much any game at max details with AA and AF. Maybe I'll just sell everything and get an Intel setup just so I can tinker with a new system. I'm not really sure there is much point to all this besides me not knowing what to do. Maybe I can get some raptors, but then again a couple owners have said that the performance increase really wasn't that great.
Any ideas?

You can always use more HDD space, or least I can. It is ture that they are all pretty much the same, maybe get a barton would be an upgrade, if it OC's farther, but that isn't always the case.
You could always get better cooling so you are prepared for the future of OCing (then you would probably only need a new WB when you upgrade next, if that).

Otherwise a 64 system would be nice but I think it would be wise to wait. and you always could save money:D

2400 MHz, 200 FSB (dual), that's a fine setup.
That's PR rating waay in the 3x00+s.

Sounds like you're on a benchmark score quest.

For September 30, 2003 (today) you are 'nothing to complain about' a-OK!

You want more, why blow hundreds on Intel, when you can can go AMD 64. If $ is a problem, sit on it for a few months, then go AMD 64.

Waiting does seem to be the best idea, but it can be so hard... It's going to be a long time before A64 is within reach.

Yeah as painful as it would be to wait I think it is probably a good thing to do at this point. So much is unclear about the next year for amd, but I like the glimpses I have seen so far ;)

As for the comment on the raptors well I got a raptor recently and it is definatly a noticeable speed difference. Could be a little somethin somethin to hold ya over ;)

Back